1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
khamai said:
I've seen the Mazdaspeed orange...

IMHO the Elise CO is MUCH better!!! :)
Wow...I've seen the MSP orange in person (but not CO) and I thought the Mazda's orange was pretty darn good!! Some sort of pearly/metallic thing going on with it. I wonder if some of these fancy colors might prove hard to paint match or fade weird or something.

Stan

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is closer ...

The inside of this car is real nice. It uses orange stiching. Thinking about doing the same on the Elise ...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Lambo uses a certain pearl that is more prominent than the Lotus paint. Looks spectacular.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Gromit said:
This is closer ...

The inside of this car is real nice. It uses orange stiching. Thinking about doing the same on the Elise ...
yep, that's the color. I'm not sure how close CO is to this Gallardo, but this is the color I want. I'm afraid CO will look like a pumpkin orange vs. a bright orange like the Gallardo

·
Registered
758 Posts
shay2nak said:
yep, that's the color. I'm not sure how close CO is to this Gallardo, but this is the color I want.
If the paint colour chips are a good indication, then CO is almost exactly the same as the Gallardo. I haven't seen a chrome orange elise yet, so can't say for sure.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
shay2nak said:
I'm afraid CO will look like a pumpkin orange
Hey, what's wrong with a Pumpkin Orange Lotus???:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Shay,
I have a close up photo of chrome orange on an Esprit I can post for you tonight. It shows the hint of metallic/pearl in the finish very well. 5 megapixel size too (with an okay digi cam), so you can get a good idea.

The Gallardo has a very high pearl content, so on the corners and in the direct sun, the edges take on a yellowish tint akin to how an actual pearl looks. In the showroom under low lighting, they difference is more subtle, but the Gallardo definitely glows more. Many of us San Diego ETers saw them both on the same day on our Symbolic meet with the LA Club.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Vantage said:
Shay,
I have a close up photo of chrome orange on an Esprit I can post for you tonight. It shows the hint of metallic/pearl in the finish very well. 5 megapixel size too (with an okay digi cam), so you can get a good idea.

The Gallardo has a very high pearl content, so on the corners and in the direct sun, the edges take on a yellowish tint akin to how an actual pearl looks. In the showroom under low lighting, they difference is more subtle, but the Gallardo definitely glows more. Many of us San Diego ETers saw them both on the same day on our Symbolic meet with the LA Club.
i would appreciate that, Vantage. thanks! Is it easy to repaint the body of the Elise? Maybe i can get away with ordering yellow or red, then pay extra to repaint the car with Gallardo's paint.

Tim, there's nothing wrong with a pumpkin orange Lotus except that the only pumpkins oranges I like are when it involves a pie. :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
pumpkin, carrot...whatever you choose orange looks like vegetal matter :D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Stan said:
Sorry Stan. This Mazda Orange recalls for me all the characteristics of MinuteMaid Orange Soda with a little milk added.

Try it and see what I mean!

It's not a bad color, but it is no Chrome Orange.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: Re: Chrome Orange Mazda Protege??!!?!

Ancient Wedgie said:
Sorry Stan. This Mazda Orange recalls for me all the characteristics of MinuteMaid Orange Soda with a little milk added.

Try it and see what I mean!

It's not a bad color, but it is no Chrome Orange.
lol =) I take it you've tried it. Should I ask why ..

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Shay,
I'm not really sure on the costs, but I bet the paint is a bit more expensive than a normal one. You might want to ask Modern Wedgie, as she was (and maybe still is) researching to paint her Elise lightning yellow if it comes in as Saffron. It's probably in the area of a very nice suspension upgrade with wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Chrome Orange Mazda Protege??!!?!

Gromit said:
lol =) I take it you've tried it. Should I ask why ..
Well, by the time you get as old as I, you've run into your share of accidents. May yours all be as innocuous as this one. :)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I cant imagine that painting the elise would be more expensive than any other car, if you go to the right shop that is. It's just fiberglass. I know a place who could probably do it for a few grand. It would still be cheaper if lotus would do it at the factory.

Lambo orange would be yummy too. If I ever had to repaint the car, I would certainly consider it :)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These seem to be hard colors to photograph. First of all the light changes things dramatically. Secondly digital cameras can't record all the colors that we can perceive.

If you look at the original post, some of the other samples shown in that URL look more like CO. It does seem like Mazda's orange has more red in it or something.

Stan

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Mikester also had some great shots of the Chrome Orange and perhaps some others too. I apologize for forgetting their names.

If anyone wants the full size shots, just PM me and we can arrange something. Because of the wonderful image hosting they aren't that much better. They weren't quite as vivid as I had remembered, but it's something.

http://www.elisetalk.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=148

Be sure to download the full size shots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts