The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lotus Cup USA Round 1 Race Report – Chuckwalla Valley Raceway Presented by Newport European Motorcars

Las Vegas, NV, March 28th, 2012 – The Lotus Cup USA 2012 season began with thrilling wheel-to-wheel racing, a visit to a new venue, and welcoming new drivers and sponsors to the factory-backed championship. Building off a successful 2011, Lotus Cup USA hosted its first round of competition at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway presented by Newport European Motorcars.

Race 1

For 2012, Lotus Cup racers now compete in a two-race format per weekend. Race 1 took place on Saturday afternoon under the blazing sun, high winds, and slippery racetrack. Glen Irani took pole position over Andy Kern and Jack Fried. As the green flag dropped, Irani had a mechanical failure as he crossed the start/finish line and retired prematurely. Kern took the lead heading into turn one with Fried, Eddie Park and Robb Bonnano close behind. As the race progressed, Bonnano began to make his charge to front passing Park and setting his sights on Fried. Further back in the Production class, a three-car battle heated up between Victor Brandt, Greg Linderer, and series newcomer Bob Sachs. The trio were nose-to-tail for nearly the whole race. At the end, Andy Kern took the overall and 2-Eleven victory, Bonnano made a last lap move on Fried for second overall and 2-Eleven. Fried came home in third overall and first in Open with Park following in fourth overall and third in 2-Eleven. Mike Bryant had a quite race, taking home the victory in Cup class and rounding out the Top 5 overall. In production, Victor Brandt held on for the win with Bob Sachs coming in second and Greg Linderer in third.

Race 2

The second race of the weekend was even more exciting than the first. Race 1 winner Andy Kern would start from the back due to a penalty in the qualifying session, leaving Glen Irani on pole with Jack Fried sharing the front row. As the green flag waived, Fried got a great jump on Irani for the lead into turn one. Fried would start to build a comfortable lead as Irani, Bonnano and Park battled for position behind him. Irani would have another mechanical issue but be able to continue, leaving him to drop in position as the race progressed. The battle really heated up between Park, Bonnano and Kern, who came from last to catch the leaders. Running several laps within seconds of each other, Bonnano pressured Park and into turn one, Park made a small mistake that him loose control of his 2-Eleven. Bonnano, trying to get by, clipped the spinning Park and both 2-Elevens were out of the race. As the pace car went out to collect the field, Fried now saw his huge lead shrink to nothing with Kern now looming behind him. As the race got back underway, Kern was intent on going for the overall win. The two lightly bumped in the braking zone but gained control and raced to the checkered flag. Fried held on to the overall and Open class victory, followed by series necomber Greg Nitzkowski in his 2-Eleven GT4, and Glen Irani in third. In 2-Eleven, Kern took the victory even with the penalty for contact with Eddie Park and Robb Bonnano rounding out the podium. Production class saw another great battle with Bob Sachs taking his first win in the series over Greg Linderer and Victor Brandt.

Time Attack

The Time Attack group saw a great battle between three Chuckwalla Valley Raceway members in the Production class. Mike Dean in his first race weekend with Lotus Cup, took the overall and Production class victory in this FreeCreditScore.com Elise. Michael Reynolds and Cam Lancaster rounded out the podium. Miguel Broce took the Cup victory in the Time Attack group and has proved to be a rising talent in the Lotus Cup series.

The series now heads to Buttonwillow Raceway Park on April 14th and 15th for Round 2 of the West coast championship. Drivers can register for HPDE, Time Attack or Race with Lotus Cup USA at www.lcusa.motorsportreg.com.

###

About Lotus Cup USA
Lotus Cup USA features an exciting mix of time attack and wheel-to-wheel racing for Lotus enthusiasts throughout North America. Officially factory backed by Lotus Cars, Lotus Cup USA participants will enjoy competing on the best racetracks in the country through professionally run motorsports events for awards, prizes, and, of course, bragging rights. The highly competitive series features multiple classes racing together for action everywhere on the racetrack, as well as a VIP Client Experience and Driving Academy for the new track enthusiast. Lotus Cup USA is licensed to 777 Racing, Inc, a Nevada Corporation, by Lotus Group UK.

Sponsors: Lotus Cars, Yokohama Tire, Motul USA, Tecnocraft Composites, Dietsch Werks, DRS, Mulholland Motorsports and Newport European Motorcars.

-----

RACE 1:

Overall (in class) - Name - Class

1st (1st) - ANDY KERN - 2-Eleven
2nd (2nd) - ROBB BONNANO - 2-Eleven
3rd (1st) - JACK FRIED - Open
4th (3rd) - EDDIE PARK - 2-Eleven
5th (1st) - MIKE BRYANT - Cup
6th (2nd) - GREG NITZKOWSKI - Open
7th (1st) - VICTOR BRANDT - Production
8th (2nd) - BOB SACHS - Production
9th (3rd) - GREG LINDERER - Production
10th (2nd) - ROY SAKIOKA - Cup
11th (4th) - SANDY SANFORD - Production
12th (3rd) - GLEN IRANI - Open

Fastest Lap = Robb Bonnano - 1:55.936

RACE 2:

1st (1st) - JACK FRIED - Open
2nd (2nd) - GREG NITZKOWSKI - Open
3rd (3rd) - GLEN IRANI - Open
4th (1st) - MIKE BRYANT - Cup
5th (1st) - BOB SACHS - Production
6th (2nd) - GREG LINDERER - Production
7th (3rd) - VICTOR BRANDT - Production
8th (2nd) - SANDY SANFORD - Production
9th (1st) - ANDY KERN - 2-Eleven*
10th (2nd) - EDDIE PARK - 2-Eleven
11th (3rd) - ROBB BONNANO - 2-Eleven
12th (2nd) - ROY SAKIOKA - Cup (DNS)
*Penalty for contact on last lap

Fastest Lap = Andy Kern - 1:57.345

TIME ATTACK

1st (1st) - MIKE DEAN - Production
2nd (1st) - MIGUEL BROCE - Cup
3rd (2nd) - MICHAEL REYNOLDS - Production
4th (3rd) - CAM LANCASTER - Production

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Are you guys separating the race participants out of the time trial standings now?

And I'm still waiting for some vids of the race!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Uh oh... Andy made contact??? :no:
Nerf...

I made it from P10 (due to my screwing up the TT) to P2 and was right behind Jack for the restart after the full course yellow... then I misjudged his braking point and gave him a little nudge... ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
:D
Nerf...

I made it from P10 (due to my screwing up the TT) to P2 and was right behind Jack for the restart after the full course yellow... then I misjudged his braking point and gave him a little nudge... ;)
Might need to get you in the trophy truck, that is how you pass in the desert. Nerf em easy, if they move over, pass em. If they don't hit em harder or put the bumper on em and take emfor a ride.:D

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Nerf...

Yeah ... if there hadn't been a re-start, you wouldn't have had the chance to give me a nudge..... I had too much of a lead. :p :)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts