The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many LT members we have that race Chumpcar?
What do you usually drive? Are you a part of a team or a renter? What part of the country or tracks do you usually race?

Any tips for a newbie? They seem like a good group so far but every group has its quirks or special ediquate.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have done a chump car race and a lemons race. Each group has a forum so you should go check out their FAQ's. The best thing to do it buy a seat with a team and try it out for a race and see if it's for you.

It is an absolute blast! But putting a team together can be quite tricky just like those group projects in high school.

Picture of the Buick we race. It's an automatic and supercharged... Really bad choice lol ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1432899389.627257.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exiged,

Have done two races this year in a rental spot, RA and Daytona, BMW E30. It is a blast! Sort of like driving a tractor compared to my track Exige.

Had a small altercation with a guy at Daytona last weekend and he said I did a pit maneuver on him. I held my line and he pinched me I think, it happened quick. That's just what I had on my mind, second time doing it, in a car I don't own on a track I have never been to before. Exactly what I was thinking. Its a great way to make friends.

Needless to say I have noticed some etiquette. If you hold your line most of the time you will make contact so it is better to adjust and feather or brake if you are slower. Also if you are on a track that will handle 3 wide like Daytona, its better to go low and let the faster cars up top.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
... It is a lot of fun when you arrive and drive, I'd keep it at that. Yes there are A hole drivers, check out the d*** around the 3:20 mark of my video:

If you don't arrive and drive, you get used to doing stuff like the second picture below with your free time and $. I've lost interest and will probably be selling my car... which I have over $25k in. :facepalm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It feels like it but the guys I race with are a very fun loving bunch. My wife ran the pits at Daytona this time due to lack of crew, I refueled every stint but my own, they said my wife was the MVP. They are providing fun and dreams to me, I have to be involved, I feel guilty if I don't.

Just me...........Good Karma..........

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I am building/developing a chump/lemons car. It is a very fast and highly refined '84 Cavalier Convertible. It is so terrible to drive that I actually giggle all the way around the track for laps on end. My team, Team Cote d'Ivoire, has not raced competitively yet. We've been 'practicing' this year, i.e. we break and then replace parts at the track, that is, when we are even allowed on the track because the pit out marshal can't see a glaring problem with the car when we grid.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ahh chumpcar, I'm getting a involved through my girlfriend, its good fun and I think it plays on the better to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. Seems like you can drive just about any ol beater and come out good, just need a car that will run without breaking down and a crew who are experienced and don't mind getting dirty when it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts