The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched lotustalk and newcelica.org for install info about swapping the sintered steel gear for the milled circuit works gears. Does anyone have info about swapping these gears? Is it difficult for the average Elise owner who has done installs like exhaust, dampers, rotors, pads, etc...?
Does the pump need to be removed from the engine to swap the gears?
-Robert

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
you dont want to attempt this without the motor out for a first timer.. its a very big job.. buy a new oil pump from toyota, take out the oem gears and drop in new..

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Jim is 100% right.

It's a big job. Here's the process in a nutshell... I don't think I left anything out here...

1-Clam needs to come off or tilt up:D and undertray (not diffuser) gotta go too
2- Remove pass side motor mount and mounting post
3- Jack Pass side engine up using board and jack technique on the oil pan and remove belt tensioner pivot bolt (must be done so the bolt can clear the frame.
4- Lower engine back down to normal level
5- Remove harmonic balancer (put in gear, lock parking brake, and use long extension with 1/2" ratchet--- It's tight.)
6-Remove Valve Cover (obviously the coils come out first)
7- Remove timing chain cover
8- Remove timing chain (you'll need to know "the dot procedure" to reinstall the chain. It's really NOT hard.
9-Remove Oil pump housing
10- Disassemble oil pump (you'll need either a 1/4 impact with impact compatible #3 phillips head or impact driver w/ #3PH. The former is better/easier than the latter to break the assembly screws loose)
11- Swap gears with your new circuit worx units. (the easy part)
12- Reverse of above to reassemble.

Sans the clam issue (I refuse to work on cars without clamhinges;)), this job took me about 2 hours... Being that this is your first time, expect 4 -6 hours plus the clam stuff.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Phil

edit: I just saw Jay's post. I agree a big job, but I probably disagree about the engine removal part- But I see your point Jay:up: FWIW- I would rather replace the oil pump than the fuel pump on a 05 car.LOL (I hear the 06 + cars have larger fuel pump openings in the tank than 05 cars. The only bad part about 05 cars!)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! It's like a scary movie...thanks for the guide, but I think I'll NOT do this gear swap.

robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim is 100% right.

It's a big job. Here's the process in a nutshell... I don't think I left anything out here...

1-Clam needs to come off or tilt up:D and undertray (not diffuser) gotta go too
2- Remove pass side motor mount and mounting post
3- Jack Pass side engine up using board and jack technique on the oil pan and remove belt tensioner pivot bolt (must be done so the bolt can clear the frame.
4- Lower engine back down to normal level
5- Remove harmonic balancer (put in gear, lock parking brake, and use long extension with 1/2" ratchet--- It's tight.)
6-Remove Valve Cover (obviously the coils come out first)
7- Remove timing chain cover
8- Remove timing chain (you'll need to know "the dot procedure" to reinstall the chain. It's really NOT hard.
9-Remove Oil pump housing
10- Disassemble oil pump (you'll need either a 1/4 impact with impact compatible #3 phillips head or impact driver w/ #3PH. The former is better/easier than the latter to break the assembly screws loose)
11- Swap gears with your new circuit worx units. (the easy part)
12- Reverse of above to reassemble.

Sans the clam issue (I refuse to work on cars without clamhinges;)), this job took me about 2 hours... Being that this is your first time, expect 4 -6 hours plus the clam stuff.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Phil

edit: I just saw Jay's post. I agree a big job, but I probably disagree about the engine removal part- But I see your point Jay:up: FWIW- I would rather replace the oil pump than the fuel pump on a 05 car.LOL (I hear the 06 + cars have larger fuel pump openings in the tank than 05 cars. The only bad part about 05 cars!)
Thanks Very much for the quick guide Phil. Do I need to lock the cam gears? And tricks with the VVT sprocket? Do I need to unlock/lock it? Or can I just remove the chain and make sure it’s aligned again when I put it back on - assuming this is the dot procedure 2ZZ-GE Cam Timing – BOE Fabrication
Thanks Again

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks Very much for the quick guide Phil. Do I need to lock the cam gears? And tricks with the VVT sprocket? Do I need to unlock/lock it? Or can I just remove the chain and make sure it’s aligned again when I put it back on - assuming this is the dot procedure 2ZZ-GE Cam Timing – BOE Fabrication
Thanks Again
As long as you don't remove the VVT cam mechanism, you don't need to unlock it. The dot procedure requires it to be in the locked position. Just align the various dots when you reinstall the chain and you should be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts