The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hi Eddie,

problem with customs is cleared here. Parcel will fly today to US.

About the Quaife, I have been told by the CEO Micheal Quaife that by mistake a youngster at the sales department sold a few units to someone in US af few years ago. This was not ment to be and this guy is now working in the basement of the factory:).
If you buy from US distributor, no warranty!!
I' am official dealer and toolowner for the QDF 13 H.

You can read more about the matter in previous postings here on LotusTalk or other forum.

cheers,

Harry Martens Limmen
Home

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Hi Eddie,

problem with customs is cleared here. Parcel will fly today to US.
[snip]
If you buy from US distributor, no warranty!!
I' am official dealer and toolowner for the QDF 13 H.

You can read more about the matter in previous postings here on LotusTalk or other forum.
[snip]
Home
Thanks for fixing the Customs folks - I know how that can be :face palm

I did see the stories that said you were the official dealer; the emails from Quaife did not clarify the mistake of the young sales guy.

But Quaife did imply if I bought the diff for the non-sanctioned USA source, it would not be covered.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Thanks to Harry - it got kicked loose. Now if I can only get his money over there (it was due Feb 5, but the bankers are doing something weird :-(

From Harry - here's my Quaife parts - diff, bolts, shims, throw out bear O-rings, gaskets, SKF carrier bearings:

From Dietschwerks (via JAE and others?) the AP Racing clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearings, O-rings, gaskets (duplicate)

More related pics here - (thanks to MidLifeZ for catching my error)):

http://http://s413.photobucket.com/user/eberin/library/Lotus%20Esprit%20transmission%20work%20012214?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
OK - here are some pics (finally - work was delayed to a combination of parts arriving, schedule conflict, and mechanics under the weather).

Here is a screen capture of a video that shows what appears to be the input shaft grinding well into the OEM circlip:

Note: The input shaft was still being retained by the circlip at this point. But if left to its own devices, would have destroyed the circlip and continue its trek forward to the nylatron washer (to be destroyed) and finally into the crankshaft, destroying that as well.

The early symptom (at least for me at 59K miles) is very hard shifting into 1st. I didn't notice as I shift into 2nd first, then 1st gear - a habit I picked up from driving other manual transmission cars. This masked the fact that 1st gear felt like it had a dragging clutch.

More photos here:

Lotus_esprit_transmission_opened_031214 Photos by eberin | Photobucket

I have a 12 sec video on YouTube that shows the general condition and the depth of which the input shaft splines have grinded into the OEM circlip.

YouTube

They will be replacing the circlip with the 'super circlip' from HML Transmissions (Netherlands) - also available at JAE in the USA. I also have a Quaife Limited Slip Differential going in along with new differential carrier bearings.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,348 Posts
The YouTube video came up "private" when I tried to view.:(

Will try from home tonight.

Don't lose the spacers and shims.. just how loose WERE the dif carrier bearings???

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
The YouTube video came up "private" when I tried to view.:(

Will try from home tonight.

Don't lose the spacers and shims.. just how loose WERE the dif carrier bearings???
Video was private - default for new Google/YouTube - I fixed it (I think)?

Don't know status of carrier bearings.

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Well, after a long time, the Citroen C35 circlip was removed and here's the summary page:

Here is the circlip up close - note the spline damage:

The Nylatron washer that is partially damaged as well:

More details at this photo website - close ups of the circlip with initial spline damage and a partially chewed up Nylatron washer:

1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo Citroen C35 Circlip 59K M Photos by eberin | Photobucket

·
Integrator
2,958 Posts
Eddie,
Thank you for posting pics and your observations.

Just curious...

What would be the cost ratio of the circlip to the labor required to replace it?

LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Eddie,
Thank you for posting pics and your observations.
[snip]
What would be the cost ratio of the circlip to the labor required to replace it?
I picked up the worn clutch/transmission parts - at 59K miles, it was actually pretty worn (disc was 0.315" thick - not sure what original thickness would be).

So the cost ratio of the circlip fix was absorbed by the necessary clutch work.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :facepalm

The car is coming back tomorrow; just a final check out by the owner/mechanic and I'm back in the daily driving saddle again :coolnana:

Recap:
Transmission pre-emptively opened (59K miles) to do the following:
1. replace Citroen C35 circlip before failure caused more damage
2. while transmission out, replace clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing,rear main seal, differential (now Quaife), differential carrier bearings
3. collateral repairs - replace various transmission and turbo/exhaust gaskets

Here are pictures with captions of the worn parts replaced (my radiator was the original reason the car was in shop; leaking after only 7 months).

Note the clutch shows heavy wear - nearly worn down. Not sure how much due to failing circlip. Circlip was still holding, but nylatron washer was shredding.

Differential carrier bearings (Poland xxxxx) were worn, but still OK - replaced with SKF German bearings/races.

Full album here:

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/eberin/library/clutch%20transmission%20parts%2059K%201988%20Lotus%20Esprit?sort=3&page=1 e:http://]Clutch Transmission Parts 59K 1988 Lotus Esprit Photos by eberin | Photobucket[/URL]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sleek, are you installing the Quaife yourself? Know how to set the lash on the carrier bearings? It's not easy but can be done by a DIY guy with some patience and care.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,348 Posts
Sleek, are you installing the Quaife yourself? Know how to set the lash on the carrier bearings? It's not easy but can be done by a DIY guy with some patience and care.
His shop is doing it. (Endplay and backlash, two interdependent adjustments)

It's a ROYAL P.I.T.A.

:mad: :panic:

·
Super Moderator
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Yes, it is. I've done it quite a number of times myself, and it's important to get right.
The mechanics that worked on mine (part of the reason for the long delay) do the Quaife upgrades and diffs for their race customers (and their own track cars). So I'm confident they did it correctly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The mechanics that worked on mine (part of the reason for the long delay) do the Quaife upgrades and diffs for their race customers (and their own track cars). So I'm confident they did it correctly.
Sounds good Eddie, yup, they must know what they're doing.

I'm going to install a quaife in my Citroen transaxle for the time being too. The transaxle needs to come out anyway as it sounds like the diff carrier bearings are pretty shot - they're getting louder.

As a side note, I'm working on an audi 016 conversion for esprit owners with the Citroen or Renault transaxles - shifter, clutch pack, adapter plate, etc. The 016 is a much better box than either, lots of ratios available, stronger, cheap to find and plentyful, etc. 016s are being used reliably behind 400 hp/tq small block fords in quite a number of GT40s and similar cars. There are a range of low-cost improvements that can be made as well to make them even stronger. Fun stuff.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,348 Posts
Did you realize that if Eddie hadn't ordered the Quaife, the transmission would have been sitting crooked???

rotfl

101 - 120 of 138 Posts