The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone test drive or own a Civic Type R? A buddy of mine is begging me to get a Type R instead of an Elise so he can buy @ MSRP (Dealer will only remove the mark-up if 2 are bought:facepalm). The elise's I am looking at are pretty close in price to a new Type R. I've always wanted an Elise and keep getting close to buying one but am having trouble pulling the trigger because of the cost combined with the practical considerations. I'm not looking for a daily driver or a track car but something that is fun to drive around and I enjoy owning (and maybe do an auto-x here or there). I used to own a Mr2 Turbo so the Elise was always lust worthy. The Type R reviewers all love it (except for the looks), it's more practical, has a warranty, has functional AC (I'm in Florida) and also doesn't depreciate much. Anyway any Elise/Exige owners have thoughts on it besides its looks? How do they compare for auto-x and on the track and for fun factor? Strictly apples to oranges here?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Anyone test drive or own a Civic Type R? A buddy of mine is begging me to get a Type R instead of an Elise so he can buy @ MSRP (Dealer will only remove the mark-up if 2 are bought:facepalm). The elise's I am looking at are pretty close in price to a new Type R. I've always wanted an Elise and keep getting close to buying one but am having trouble pulling the trigger because of the cost combined with the practical considerations. I'm not looking for a daily driver or a track car but something that is fun to drive around and I enjoy owning (and maybe do an auto-x here or there). I used to own a Mr2 Turbo so the Elise was always lust worthy. The Type R reviewers all love it (except for the looks), it's more practical, has a warranty, has functional AC (I'm in Florida) and also doesn't depreciate much. Anyway any Elise/Exige owners have thoughts on it besides its looks? How do they compare for auto-x and on the track and for fun factor? Strictly apples to oranges here?
I have no experience with the Type R. Although, I am probably one of the few that thinks it looks cool :shrug:(sorry). Have you driven a Lotus Elise yet? I'm sure it would be apples to oranges if you drove both cars back to back. I had a 350z/Pontiac Solstice that I thought was nimble until I drove the Lotus and it blew me away. The emotion, feel, and nimbleness of the Lotus has to be experienced! I suggest you hook up with someone in your area to have a test drive. Since you are just looking for a "fun" car I don't think you can get any better than a Lotus (except if you raise your budget to (60-100k). However, the Lotus is arguably more fun than most sports car/supercars, so budget could N/A in some views. If gear box doesn't matter to you, you should look into the Alpha 4c (40-50k?). IMO, I think you should go for the Lotus, you won't regret it (except for the summer heat w/ weak a/c):crazyeyes

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I recently drove a Focus RS which is about my best closest experience - the elise is a totally different car. Now, being in Florida, the Elise is not the right car to get unless you plan on taking it to mountains, tracks days, or autocrosses. On the vast interstate system there, the novelty wears off more quickly. It loses steam around 100mph, so it just isn't at home if tearing up the interstate is what you plan on (and what else is there to do in Florida, haha).

That all being said, you are the only one who has to live with your decision. Test them both and decide for yourself. For some, the looks of the Elise alone will justify the purchase.

·
Registered
308 Posts
BTW, you should also test an Evora. That may be the perfect blend of "fun" without the comprised A/C and rough ride of the Elise.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
What, are you really asking if a car with 4 doors is competition with the Elise?

Sure I would consider a Honda for my winter car.

i've said it before, all these regular cars feel like driving standing up.

And a dealer wanting over list

sorry, not buying any other Honda from them either

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rented one from Turo when I went to LA with my wife for a weekend and the Type R crushed it in the Angeles Forest. I absolutely love it and have casually started to look for one.

That said, at 41 years old, the looks will be the likely factor that keeps me away. So many fake intake vents, wheels are SO unnecessarily (should have 18's) big and the wing is just ridiculous.

Also, as a proud Exige S owner I can say they only thing these cars have in common is 4 wheels and a steering wheel. I'm fortunate to have a fun daily (E36 M3) and a winter rig, in addition to the Exige. Its not even a question I would get something more practical if I was only owning one car.

Would an Elise be your daily?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Apples and oranges are both fruit, grow on trees, have skins, juice, edible flesh, have seeds. A lot in common.

The Civic R compared to the Elige is more like Apples to Titanium.

The Civic R is cool in concept, looks too cartoonish, and is ridiculously expensive. Will depreciate a lot faster.

It's been said a million times, and is almost cliche now, but the Elige drives like no other car you'll ever drive, and it ruins you for almost any other sports car in terms of sheer driving experience.

Doesn't mean it's right for you, or that it's now outweighed by the practicality of the Civic or any other car. It's simply that there is nothing out there to really compare it to that is street legal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Apples and oranges are both fruit, grow on trees, have skins, juice, edible flesh, have seeds. A lot in common.

The Civic R compared to the Elige is more like Apples to Titanium.

The Civic R is cool in concept, looks too cartoonish, and is ridiculously expensive. Will depreciate a lot faster.

It's been said a million times, and is almost cliche now, but the Elige drives like no other car you'll ever drive, and it ruins you for almost any other sports car in terms of sheer driving experience.
"Apples to Titanium" LMAO :clap:

Lotus DOES ruin all other sports cars. A few years back I test drove a 15' Boxster and 911 and felt like I was driving a bus. I walked away very underwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
The guy that sold me his 4C has a type R almost brand new. It’s white with red interior. It may only have around 2000 miles. He is selling it at a decent price. The car is mint.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I daily a Civic Si, so the idea of a Type R is there. Four doors, a hatch. Can take to Sams for a bunch of stuff. Very good mileage. The much improved brakes would be nice, the mandatory manual trans is great. Silky.

I like the looks other than the unbelievably stupid giant fake vents front and rear, but on the dark blue ones they are not as hideous.

The fake carbon fiber all over it is ok in a parody sort of way, since it’s not anything like as pricey as cars with the real stuff.

There are tons of them on autotrader etc.

But compare to an Elise? Something like reading about sex compared to actually doing it.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I've always wanted an Elise and keep getting close to buying one but am having trouble pulling the trigger because of the cost combined with the practical considerations. I'm not looking for a daily driver or a track car but something that is fun to drive around and I enjoy owning (and maybe do an auto-x here or there).
This ultimately comes down to what do you want and what are you willing to give up? I have a Grand Marquis with the Handling and Performance package, Konis, good tires, and some tuning. It's surprisingly fun to drive hard once you get over the feeling of autocrossing the Queen Mary. Is it a sports car? No. Would I replace it with an Elise? Absolutely not. Sometimes I need to do 300 miles in a day in comfort with three people in the car, a trunk full of luggage, and towing the travel trailer. It does that. The Elise does not.

You know what? There are things the Elise does that nothing else I've ever owned does. That's why I've got it. The only other thing with wheels I can think of that is truly comparable is a Moto GP sports bike (not a superbike - that's more like a blown Evora). By that standard it's as tame as a kitten: has a watertight roof, some luggage space, a passenger seat (with footrest), seat belts, wipers and defogger. Positively decadent.

You know what the Elise doesn't do? Carry more than 4 cu ft in the trunk. Carry more than two people. Tow a class 2 or 3 trailer. Keep you couch comfy for six hours of driving in 100 degree weather. Hold your slurpee secure and unshaken. Play your tunes with a killer stereo that you can actually hear.

Don't try to maintain the illusion that there's much comparability between a stamped steel tuned sedan and an Elise. Beyond the most basic function of getting you (just you) between A and B, there's not.

So what do you want? What are you willing to give up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input everyone. I've test driven 2 elises but only for < 10 minutes and never got out of maybe 2nd or 3rd gear or hit the 2nd cam or went around a turn fast so I don't have a great feel for how it really drives. I do have an understanding of its size (which I actually like) and 'amenities'. I guess the big issue is more of a personal one that I have to figure out - specifically being that the elise is a pretty selfish purchase (like all 2 seaters). I have 2 teenagers and a wife with a bad back so the elise experience would purely be something only I can typically enjoy. Something like a Type-R/Model 3 etc is easier to justify since it can fill more roles. With that said, I really don't need a 4 door hatch since I already have a 2019 Sienna van and a mazda CX5 that I daily. I'm going to tell my bud that he's out of luck, I really don't want to settle on a Type-R.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone. I've test driven 2 elises but only for < 10 minutes and never got out of maybe 2nd or 3rd gear or hit the 2nd cam or went around a turn fast so I don't have a great feel for how it really drives. I'm going to tell my bud that he's out of luck, I really don't want to settle on a Type-R.
Believe me, I get that an Elise isn't an all-purpose car. My wife (with spine trouble) still hasn't been even around the block in mine and I've had it for a year. I do DD it as a commute car on an admittedly short and predictable commute with covered parking at both ends. Big trips for the car so far have been 180 mile round trips for work to our colo facility (yes, it's fun, and yes, I'm usually hauling some server hardware when I do it) - get to write mileage off on the toy car.

Another thing that will happen with an Elise that won't happen with any current Japanese car short of a GT-R, or just maybe a Supra: Conversations with random strangers about the car when you go pick up some groceries at Trader Joe's. I think it sort of blows peoples' minds when I put four bags in the boot, one in the pax seat and one in the pax floorboard and drive the groceries home in my impractical, exotic English sports car. For extra effect, put the interior bags in through the roof hole because you have the top off. No, I don't park by the door...

Things you should do before you put the Elise on or off the list for good: Take the top off. Take it out long enough to get it warmed up - 15+ minutes. Once warm: Accelerate hard onto the superslab. Make telekinetic lane changes. Discover how bad your steering wheel balance technique is on an offramp or onramp (the Elise does not reward heavy hands). Take it up to 8500 in third with the top off. Then you will have some idea if this car is a 'must have' or a 'can live without.' If you can live without it, you probably will eventually choose to do so if you buy it. I will note that if you had an MR2 turbo you might already be spoiled for anything but another mid engine sports car. I have been ever since my X 1/9 25 years ago.

You can do all of this on a test drive, although the last one requires appropriate conditions and may violate local laws.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have an Elise and a Focus RS and I love them both and wouldn’t sell either one!

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
BTW, you should also test an Evora. That may be the perfect blend of "fun" without the comprised A/C and rough ride of the Elise.
The later cars had the AC system revised. My 2008 Exige S240 blows ice cold and with tinted windows especially so...I had a 2006 Elise which had inadequate cooling, but also had a leak in the low pressure line (maybe high pressure) so that probably compromised the system further.

To the best of my knowledge it was only the 2005-2006 Elises that had the poor AC performance.

EDIT: The guy who sold me my Exige regretted the decision within a few weeks and bought another Exige
over keeping his Aprilla motorcycle. His wife said he could have one or the other.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts