The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing a claim hinge on my car(2005 Elise). Any advice? Is it that hard/complicated to install? Is it really worth the time, effort and money? Does it make the car rattle more? Would love to hear from those who have done it, know someone who has or thinking of doing it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I have it on my 2005. Definitely makes doing things in the engine bay much easier. Although I will say there are some things to consider.

If you are shorter it is much harder to lift on your own.
If you have any wing/spoiler makes it almost impossible without removing it or getting help.
If you have euro style exhaust some adjustments may need to be done to not hit it while being tilted.
If you are running BoE Rev400 SC kit the right rear wheel well cover will hang low and under high compression of the shock you will rub on the tire (due to the heat exchanger mounting point)
There will be some adjustment that will be needed in order to get everything to align up especially on the top near the interior.
You cannot use LiDBone for your engine cover
You will need to buy another battery to relocate it

Other than those which most are very specific it is a great overall product. The adjusting and trimming will take most of your time. I would say if it your first time taking your rear clam off, give your 4-5 hours with hand tools to complete it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Definitely worth the time and effort.
I like mine.
Sam

·
Registered
201 Posts
As a secondary option, there's the radium solution. You pay 200 bucks for a few pieces of CNCed aluminum and a booklet of printer paper.

Step 1: feel cheated
Step 2: install on car
Step 3: reassemble car
Step 4: several days later, realize you put your trunk on poorly
Step 5: take off clam again and fix
Step 6: Marvel at how much time was saved and call it even with step 1

Basically the giant PITA to remove the rear clam are those crazy interior bolts for your...(I've forgotten, was it the trunk lid?).

Anyway, I haven't done all their mods (most importantly the battery relocation since that takes 15 mins by itself), but I can still have the clam off in less than 30 mins. It definitely lacks the wow factor of the clam hinge, but the cosmetics of the clam hinge were a deal breaker for me. That rear end is the stuff of nightmares!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ithurtsus not sure exactly what you are talking about. Did I miss something? Explain more please. Thanks

·
Wow Such Admin
6,959 Posts
ithurtsus not sure exactly what you are talking about. Did I miss something? Explain more please. Thanks
Radium sells a kit to make it easier to remove the rear clam.

In my opinion, the clam hinge isn't worth the money to me. Because I will probably only have the rear clam off maybe 2 or 3 times in the entire time I have the car. But that is just my personal opinion and many will disagree with it. :shrug:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Radium kit worth it?
200 bucks vs 4-5 hours of time, yea its worth it the first time. If you really want to show up to a cars and coffee and have something special you should get the clam hinge. If you don't care about that, I feel 800 bucks is too much for the clam hinge (and the aforementioned cosmetics)

·
Ticket Magnet
1,056 Posts
Mine is great. I have not yet relocated the battery and it tilts fine with the battery mounted in the truck (although I have a lighter-than-stock Braille battery). I have a Euro exhaust and it works fine.

I do have to remove the stock euro panel as I do not have the naked look.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I've had the Clam Hinge for three years now. I like the convenience of opening it whenever I want quickly and reliably without having to find a place to safely rest the clam as I would with the less expensive Radium solution. Yeah, I've opened it up at a couple of car shows, but besides that it's great for any kind of engine maintenance. For example, it makes checking / changing the air filter a snap. My REV300 installation will be a breeze.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are the bad cosmetics of the hinge? Can u see it? I don't like the open look w the exhaust showing. Do u have to have that w the hinge?

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
There are two cosmetic changes. A minor one is that you have to "clip" the black liner trim along the side scoops (at the clam seam). Second is the "naked rear" that comes from deleted the back trim panel between the clam and diffuser. I don't have a problem with either. You see a 1/4 in. gap in the side trim that matches the seam in the clam (no longer continuous along the entire scoop). Some make minor modifications to the trim panel so that they can still use it. Not hard to do, but it would slow down opening the clam as the panel would need to be unfastened first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I can still use the panel where the liscense plate goes if I want? Can I keep the cf side scoops on the car?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Actually, you don't have to go with a "naked" rear if you don't want to. The only downside is you'll have to remove the rear panel when you want to open the clam. Still, ~15mins vs ~1hr to open the clam isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
From what I understand, you will have to fab up brackets that attach to the chassis and not the clam with the hinge.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
The side scoops as they are will not work with the clam hinge. Like Almighty stated you will have to fab up some brackets or do some extra work in order to keep those.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts