The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...new to the forums...this forum has served a wealth of info!!!

I recently have been dealing with a kind member of this forum who is selling his 2005 Lotus Elise to me. We were about to close the deal and as he was driving the Lotus, a rock hit the bottom portion of the clam in the mid grill region....apparently not structural, but repair shops say prob. worth replacing the clam due to cost of repair being high...and doing this through insurance.

The car seems to be in great shape...but now we have to wait at least 2 weeks to repair/replace the front clam...how will this effect the overall value of the car??

I want things to be fair to both the buyer and the seller...just a stroke of bad luck...

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If the clam is replaced I would think it would decrease the value by exactly $0.

If the clam is repaired in an acceptable fashion by a skilled fiberglass worker I would think it would decrease the value by exactly $0, unless he/she removed the front license plinth thereby smoothing out the front lip. In that case it would increase the value by $50.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
If the clam is replaced I would think it would decrease the value by exactly $0.

If the clam is repaired in an acceptable fashion by a skilled fiberglass worker I would think it would decrease the value by exactly $0, unless he/she removed the front license plinth thereby smoothing out the front lip. In that case it would increase the value by $50.
I concur.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys....this is good news...

given the opportunity, would any of you replace the front clam with an Exige clam as well as the Exige mesh (I would pay the difference)?

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
thanks guys....this is good news...

given the opportunity, would any of you replace the front clam with an Exige clam as well as the Exige mesh (I would pay the difference)?

It's a lot more expensive than it looks. You need the Exige access panels also. On top of that, you need the side fiber-glass things that go under the door and connect from the front to rear clam. Then you also need the front splitter but I don't think that's very expensive.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

People who are educated and logical know this, but there's always those ignoramuses that think that if there is any type of damage the car is somehow cursed for ever.

An example: there's a thread now about trading an Exige S for an Elise, and not to insult or offend the OP, but they refused to accept any cars that have had any damage or replaced clams. Unless there's some specific reason I'm not aware of...it doesn't make sense at all.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a lot more expensive than it looks. You need the Exige access panels also. On top of that, you need the side fiber-glass things that go under the door and connect from the front to rear clam. Then you also need the front splitter but I don't think that's very expensive.
So is it better than to just replace the clam with an original Elise clam, and then add the mesh kit separately...I've been researching, but where is the best place to purchase Exige type mesh for an Elise clam?

·
Registered
140 Posts
People who are educated and logical know this, but there's always those ignoramuses that think that if there is any type of damage the car is somehow cursed for ever.
+1
Hypothetically, if there were 2 cars being sold, everything exactly the same, except one had paint work and/or clam shell replaced and the other didn't, unfortuneatly, the one with paint work/clam shell replacement would sell for less - or at least take longer to sell. I've never purchased or sold a (nicer) car where the question of paintwork didn't come up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
While it shouldn't make any difference, it could. If the "repair" is reported to your insurance or you make a claim, it may show up on a CarFax report. I got much less for a trade-in last week because CarFax report showed that the car had been repaired (it had) and the damage was over $5000. It was a Buick Century I bought for my parents. Dad had an accident that was his fault, the only one he had in 64 years of driving. I lost both my parents in the last five years. I was driving the car but I couldn't take it anymore. It just hurt too much. Who says ghost don't exist? I saw my parents every time I got in the car.

Sorry about that... I guess I just needed to say it. I'll shut up now.

:mad: Like you said, it shouldn't cause a problem, but it could. It cost me about $2000 on the trade-in.

Ben

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
As long as the damage, and the repair, is well documented with pictures (to prove the extent of the damage), the value of the car should not be affected at all.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
So is it better than to just replace the clam with an original Elise clam, and then add the mesh kit separately...I've been researching, but where is the best place to purchase Exige type mesh for an Elise clam?

There are a few places. Doesn't Eliseparts sell them? It's a UK based company.

While it shouldn't make any difference, it could. If the "repair" is reported to your insurance or you make a claim, it may show up on a CarFax report. I got much less for a trade-in last week because CarFax report showed that the car had been repaired (it had) and the damage was over $5000. It was a Buick Century I bought for my parents. Dad had an accident that was his fault, the only one he had in 64 years of driving. I lost both my parents in the last five years. I was driving the car but I couldn't take it anymore. It just hurt too much. Who says ghost don't exist? I saw my parents every time I got in the car.

Sorry about that... I guess I just needed to say it. I'll shut up now.

:mad: Like you said, it shouldn't cause a problem, but it could. It cost me about $2000 on the trade-in.

Ben

Sorry to hear that. The good news is that you don't have to drive a Buick anymore :)!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Elise USA
They have mesh for the radiator cover grills ($450), the engine cover grills ($400), and the front grills ($430). Or you can get all three for $1180.

see this thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/new-radiator-mesh-grills-eliseusa-installed-56979/#post1015402

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I guess I'm one of those ignoramuses then. I yet to see a car that has been repaired and partially repainted that still has matching paint colors after 3 or 4 years.

Paint fades. New paint is made to match the existing paint. Unfortunately, as the new paint fades, it no longer matches the existing paint. Will it look good for a few years? Of course. But I tend to keep my cars until they fall apart - much, much longer than it takes for the paint to become different colors.

So, yes, I would pay less for a car that has been repaired/partially repainted.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as far as socal body shops go...has anyone heard of Advanced Collision Technology as compared to SCC in their work?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I bought a used Exige with replaced/repainted clams and door. I considered this issue and finally gave it a price adjustment of +- $0. I know that when I sell the car, I may need to be more patient to find a buyer of like mind. I can do wait it out, but if I considered it to be a hassle, I might have devalued the car a little while I was in the shopping phase.

I think that the niche market causes more prospective buyers to be a little flexible in their thinking.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had my front clam replaced and the issue never even came up when I traded my car in. It looked as good as the rest of the car more than two years later.

·
Registered
890 Posts
the questions is not if it's going to affect the value of the car, instead it should be if the previous owner goes through insurance and it shows up on carfax, how will it affect the perceived value of your car down the road.

to me i couldn't give a rats arse if the clam has been replaced as long as the frame of hte car isn't compromised. however, a potential owner may not know the full history and hence "low ball" or just walk away from the unknown.

I personally would've insist on replacing the clam NOT through insurance company to avoid potential headaches down the road.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts