The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a relatively minor crack in the front clam. Brought it to the body shop (Karosserie for those in Philly area) 3.5 months ago and I drove by last week to see the car hasn’t been touched.
This is a reputable shop with a big back order I’m sure, but can’t imagine it takes that long to get a replacement clam in. Anybody have any experience when replacing?

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
It took one member here locally over a year to get replacement OEM clam from Lotus. Repairs if done well you will not be able to tell apart from a new one. You will have your car back much faster.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Jeez, you missed out on virtually the entire driving season! Depending on where the crack is, the repair may be able to be accomplished in-situ. If so, I’m in State College; bring it here and we can do the physical repair. Alternatively, have a boat shop near you do it. Then you can enjoy what’s left of the driving season while waiting for a pro to fit you in for the paint work.

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
The body shop that repaired my Elise says that these clamshells are very repairable. Hard to believe a minor crack warrants a replacement clam.
He may have been like the local owner and insisted on OEM parts. That can bite you in the ass at times....

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3935, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
391 Posts
He may have been like the local owner and insisted on OEM parts. That can bite you in the ass at times....
Don't know the extent of the crack, but you could put some gorilla tape on it (in some attractive pattern🙂) and drive it till the clam arrives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts