The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just discovered my clam is defective and Lotus is warrantying it.

For those of you who have had a clam replacement, what is the typical turnaround for this type of procedure?

How long will I be without my vehicle?

Do they have to ship the old clam back before they will send a new one?

I am grateful for any insight.

I brought my car in for a gas smell putting me to sleep, an antifreeze smell when it heats up, the HVAC now intermittently working, new tires, and a Star Shield warranty but have only heard from the dealer that the front clam will need to be replaced. They told me Lotus will replace the Star Shield and such as well, but nothing else.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
First off, why is the clam defective? Why is it being replaced?

I've had my front clam replaced twice. It really depends on the body shop taking care of it....I don't know what the dealer turn around time is, but I imagine it's slower than a body shop.
My turn around was less than 2 weeks....all they really have to do is take the old one off, and replace the new one. Painting it and blending it is probably the rate-limiting step. Starshield should take a few hours.

Did you ever figure out what that gas smell was?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My front clam is defective according to Lotus. It's something seen on mostly darker colored cars.

According to lotus, there is a piece glued to the bottom of the clam to hold in the front headlights and the glue has eaten the fiberglass away to the point of rippling it. We thought it was an issue with the Star Shield, however, it isn't.

After Andy contacted Lotus, they immediately recognized the issue, told him what is wrong, and are planning on sending a new front clam out this way. They'll be replacing the Star Shield too when the new clam gets painted.

Still waiting for the synopsis on the gas smell and the antifreeze smell as well as a few other things.

So did Lotus ship your new clam to the dealer? How long did it take to get to you? I don't really care how long it takes to get here and get painted... I am figuring at least a month for that. Then to R&R, I would think another 2 days.

Does Lotus require my old clam back before shipping a new one out?

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
My front clam is defective according to Lotus. It's something seen on mostly darker colored cars.

There is a piece glued to the bottom of the clam to hold in the front headlights and the glue has eaten the fiberglass away to the point of rippling it. We thought it was an issue with the Star Shield, however, it isn't.

After Andy contacted Lotus, they immediately recognized the issue, told him what is wrong, and are planning on sending a new front clam out this way. They'll be replacing the Star Shield too when the new clam gets painted.

Still waiting for the synopsis on the gas smell and the antifreeze smell as well as a few other things.

So did Lotus ship your new clam to the dealer? How long did it take to get to you? I don't really care how long it takes to get here and get painted... I am figuring at least a month for that. Then to R&R, I would think another 2 days.

Does Lotus require my old clam back before shipping a new one out?
I'm not sure how long the dealer takes...my body shop, SCC, took care of it, and they are quick.

I had gas smell, and it turned out to be the fuel housing seal that was bad - so vapors were leaking...pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
:eek:...darker colored cars...-eek- WTF!

I have a darker colored car...Phantom Black.

Would it be possible for you to engage the dealer in discussion to find out what model years, models (Elise, Exige or both) and why darker colored cars are affected? :bow:

I'm sure there are others on LT that would be interested in being aware of this. TADTS?

Sounds bizarre. :popcorn:

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
The longest wait may be the StarShield recommended 30 days for the paint to cure before the new film can be placed (other word on the street is that if the paint is baked the starshield can be put on after 2 weeks :shrug:).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:eek:...darker colored cars...-eek- WTF!

I have a darker colored car...Phantom Black.

Would it be possible for you to engage the dealer in discussion to find out what model years, models (Elise, Exige or both) and why darker colored cars are affected? :bow:

I'm sure there are others on LT that would be interested in being aware of this. TADTS?

Sounds bizarre. :popcorn:
I plan to engage them and find out everything I can. Believe me.

I am under the impression after our brief conversation that this tends to happen in hot climates - in which case the glue becomes activated again and eats at the fiberglass, causing the rippling I have on the top of my hood from underneath. I don't know if it is common to all cars in a hot climate like AZ or if it was reserved to a specific lot of glue, or what... but Lotus recognized it instantly.

As I mentioned, we all thought it was the Star Shield. They brought it to have it warrantied and it was messed up underneath. The technician told me that when he called Lotus, the gentleman on the other end of the line at Lotus recognized the issue immediately and told him what was going on just from looking at the photo.

I promise to keep you all in the know. For the record, I have an 05 Starlight Black Elise, around 5000 in the assembly sequence from what I can tell from the VIN and I am in Phoenix, AZ

I hope I get my car back soon. I am seriously going through withdrawal.

Hope the mechanical & smell issues have been repaired so I can get it back while they sort this clam thing out.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I hope this doesn't happen to me :eek:

FWIW: It took 5 weeks for me to get my rear clamshell replaced at Lotus of Scottsdale. I'm still not 100% happy with the paint job they put on it but I was blinded by the happiness of getting my car back that I didn't say anything (I should have sent it back). Anyone that looks closely can tell that it doesn't have the OE paint job on the car... :(

Be SURE to inspect it closely before accepting the car.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope this doesn't happen to me :eek:

FWIW: It took 5 weeks for me to get my rear clamshell replaced at Lotus of Scottsdale. I'm still not 100% happy with the paint job they put on it but I was blinded by the happiness of getting my car back that I didn't say anything (I should have sent it back). Anyone that looks closely can tell that it doesn't have the OE paint job on the car... :(

Be SURE to inspect it closely before accepting the car.
did they use the place in Fountain Hills to paint your car?

Again, I will find out more as soon as I can.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pictures of defect?

... According to lotus, there is a piece glued to the bottom of the clam to hold in the front headlights and the glue has eaten the fiberglass away to the point of rippling it. ...
Do you have any pictures of this surface effect? If so please post.

Thanks.

A.J.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
did they use the place in Fountain Hills to paint your car?

Again, I will find out more as soon as I can.
I'm not sure who they used. I just trusted it would be done correctly since the dealer did it :rolleyes:

This is one of the reasons why I suggested another DD when owning an Elise... they can sometimes be down for weeks or even months when weird issues come up :(

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello boys and girls.

Update and photos. Photos suck, and I turned the contrast up to show you as much detail as I can. There is an upside down "L" pattern on either side of the hood right behind the headlights, approximately 1" wide and spanning 18-24 inches. Photos are of the worst parts.

I spoke at length with Lotus. They did not disclose how many vehicles were affected. They said it would be on earlier cars, but not isolated to only these if certain climatic conditions (heat, exposure to the sun, humidity) were met in certain lots of glue they used.

This is something you can clearly see through the Star Shield. If your hood is rippled behind the headlight assembly in an upside down "L" pattern, bring it to Lotus to warranty it. No problem.

With the Star Shield on, it was prevalent. With it off, it is downright FUGLY. Anyone in the local area who wants to see it in person, speak now or forever hold your peace. The clam is going to be cut apart and the defective pieces will be sent to Lotus for study.

New clam supposed to be here in about 2-3 weeks, painted in a week, disassembled and reassembled in 2 days.

Questions? Let me know. Going driving now. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :panic:

By the way, I love the Stock Exhaust... What an extreme joy it is to drive my car now!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts