The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in a class action against Lotus to fix the oil lines? Everyone knows they know how to fix this. They do not intend to remedy this as they are using their money elsewhere. This is obviously the choice they are acting on.I feel like we are being treated and acting like sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ummmmmm.... There is already a recall on the oil lines... now go to sleep.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
While visiting Arizona a week ago, my wife stopped in the Lotus dealer to get me a gift that doesn't suck for once. The service guy there asked if she new about the recall and went on to tell her that they just finished installing a new engine, on lotus's expense, in a car that had oil line failure. So if that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
While visiting Arizona a week ago, my wife stopped in the Lotus dealer to get me a gift that doesn't suck for once. The service guy there asked if she new about the recall and went on to tell her that they just finished installing a new engine, on lotus's expense, in a car that had oil line failure. So if that's the case, I wouldn't worry too much.
The oil line failure can eject oil in such a way as to cause loss of traction and an accident. That's part of the issue, Lotus seems to be making repairs after a failure, not pre-emptive repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Only lawyers win in class action suits! If your that worried spend the money and fix it yourself. Hell i'll do it for free if you lived here. Proactive is the best policy. Whatever.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't have this issue (I have an '11) but even if I did I don't think I would participate in something like that. If Audi or Porsche was the target, then I wouldn't give a crap. But Lotus is comprised of a dedicated group of gearheads killing themselves to produce spectacular one-off products. They shouldn't be punished because of some flaws are coming to light after a number of years. Fix it and move on.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
1. Sell your car if you don't use it because you feel it is unsafe.

or

2. Fix the problem for $500 (the cost of two or four tires) and enjoy the car.

A class action will likely only enrich the lawyers bringing the suit.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I'm getting my oil line situation fixed myself. I don't expect Lotus to participate in my solution.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm holding out upgrading my lines hoping the lotus solution requires clam-off so that while they're in there the dealer can address my broken oil cooler grill, install HID, install a real horn, renew my track rod ends, bleed the brakes and remove the factory license plate plinth. Yes I realize you can accomplish half of this without removing the clam but it sure would make everything easier.

But I digress. This thread is about a class action suit to which I am not interested.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
I don't have this issue (I have an '11) but even if I did I don't think I would participate in something like that. If Audi or Porsche was the target, then I wouldn't give a crap. But Lotus is comprised of a dedicated group of gearheads killing themselves to produce spectacular one-off products. They shouldn't be punished because of some flaws are coming to light after a number of years. Fix it and move on.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
No

Agree with others....the only winner would be the lawyers!..so count me out!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My biggest issue with the recall stating lotus knows of the issue is that now if my lines fail they are shouldering the cost of a new motor/accident repairs if either one of those are caused due to faulty oil lines.

There are several after market solutions and Lotus says they are still working on one. They should have had a solution in place before formally issuing the recall

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I wontsue. And I sure as **** wont stop driving my lotus.

I called lotus USA just to see what kind of response I'd get. Got someone on the phone almost immediately who was very knowledgable about the recall. A fix is in the works. I trust that hey will do the right thing here.. Until proven otherwise

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Count me out....
I changed my lines out (used RLS's excellent product) last fall just before the recall was announced. The project was a blast. I added a better horn, bled my own brakes for the first time, and got to see the construction of my car like I never had before. For the peace of mind alone it was worth the time and money. Life's short. I had fun doing it and now have no worries while others are waiting to see what Lotus will do for them.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I can understand your frustration. The recall was announced many months ago and many people are still waiting.

Let's hope these cars get fixed soon.

Mine is a 2009 Elise so it is not part of the recall but it would definately bother me if I had an earlier car and was waiting for a proper fix.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts