The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they have pitted it against a 308, and despite it ruling every measurable data set, they prefer the ferrari.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
they have pitted it against a 308, and despite it ruling every measurable data set, they prefer the ferrari.
That figures......it has been happening ever since these cars were new. I actually cross shopped these cars and eventually bought my '86 Turbo because it was a better driving car in every aspect. I even tried a 328 and still liked the Esprit better.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I've got a Road and Track from 1984 I believe that tests the Turbo Esprit. Part of the article was Dan Gurney driving both a 308 and the Esprit on the track and sharing impressions.

The Esprit did faster laps, Gurney felt it rode better, handled better, and responded better to inputs.

But in the end he said he'd prefer the Ferrari.

Oh, in the same issue was the first road test of the Honda CRX 1.5. It pulled more g's and was faster through the slalom than the Esprit.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've got a Road and Track from 1984 I believe that tests the Turbo Esprit. Part of the article was Dan Gurney driving both a 308 and the Esprit on the track and sharing impressions.

The Esprit did faster laps, Gurney felt it rode better, handled better, and responded better to inputs.

But in the end he said he'd prefer the Ferrari.

Oh, in the same issue was the first road test of the Honda CRX 1.5. It pulled more g's and was faster through the slalom than the Esprit.
Haha, that's funny, I have an Esprit now, but had a CRX (my first car, loved it) before, and think I'll stay with the Esprit...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Haha, that's funny, I have an Esprit now, but had a CRX (my first car, loved it) before, and think I'll stay with the Esprit...
The worst (funniest) thing about the cover of the Road and Track was the entire was an action photo of the CRX leading the Esprit through a hard turn, shot looking back from a leading car.

Both cars had pretty severe body roll...but the prominent line on the cover was something like: "New Honda faster through slalom than $50,000 Lotus!!!"

Yes, the Turbo Esprit was $50K in 84/85. What would that be now?

The Road Test Summary Panel, which listed all the cars that R & T had road tested up to that time, had the Turbo Esprit the 3rd fastest car to 60 mph on the list...at 6.5 seconds. Behind a Ferrari and a Lambo. Faster than any Porsche or Vette.

A Mazda 3 would beat that now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts