The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the world's most famous cars is making a comeback after more than 40 years. This summer will see the return of the Shelby AC Cobra. It's aluminum body will be handcrafted at the AC plant in Frimley, Surrey, and then shipped to the Shelby factory in Las Vegas, Nevada, where final assembly will take place.
Two versions will be available, the CSX 1000 and the CSX 7500, but prices have yet to be decided. AC Chairman Alan Lubinsky said, "it's fantastic that these two brands are together once again. Drivers can be certain that they are purchasing a Cobra with the original genuine pedigree." (Article from Auto Express)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I guess this means that its going to be sold as a fully assembled vehicle? I'm pretty sure they've been available as kits here for nearly 10 years, as I see one around town not too infrequently. (Damn that thing is loud)

Steve

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Sometimes I think that carrolll needs to come down off his high horse about this pedigree thing. Granted he's done some great things but he's the most vocal person I know about being POed about people copying his car. Its not like he actually designed the bodywork or anything, and frankly technology has come a long way since he built the first cars, and some of the copies are probably better than the original.

I'm probably just bitter that the only official shelby I'll ever get to own is his chili kit, but thats my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It sounds like the only new thing here is that AC is doing the coachwork again. Shelby American has been making their own frames and aluminum or fiberglass bodies (your choice) for at least a few years, maybe longer. They had a display with a bunch of cars, in various states of completion, at the Monterey Historics a few years ago.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Evl said:
Sometimes I think that carrolll needs to come down off his high horse about this pedigree thing. Granted he's done some great things but he's the most vocal person I know about being POed about people copying his car. Its not like he actually designed the bodywork or anything...
I absolutely agree. The AC Cobra was/is a great car, but Shelby designed neither the motor nor the chassis. He just assembled some cool parts and went racing. It is amazing to me that he recently went after the replica builders after years of not protecting the copyright. The replica builders are just doing what he did, stuffing a better motor into the AC ACE body.

His latest creations do less for me. We had a Shelby Series 1 at a HPDE a while back. Decent motor but terrible (read scary and unpredictable) handling. Not as fast in a straight line as we expected either. Haven't seen much on the new "Cobra's" performance, but the design isn't very attractive to me. I'd prefer a Factory Five or Superformance replica.

Can knock the charity work he does though. Kudos for that. Just wish he were less arrogant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts