The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey, thank you for posting this. I'm all for a Lotus Gathering. It will be very interesting to see some those classic race cars in true action!

After all I'm only 200miles south of Daytona and chances are I will have my GT1 Esprit Replica ready by then. So, if anyone would like to see it in person it will be a good occasion.

JG

·
Registered
385 Posts
My father and I have been going to the Daytona 24 every year for the past 6 years. It's become a fun little tradition and get away for us. We park in the Grassroots Paddock, which is awesome by the way. Allows you to have a dedicated parking spot inside, their pass also comes with garage access so you can walk around the race garages while they're doing some extremely mind-boggling fast work to get their cars back on the track.

So we'll definitely be there! Took the Elise last year, not sure if we'll drive my car again or my dad's 997 (his call this time). But it would be fun to see some other Lotus' regardless.

On a side note, I may have access to one or two more tickets as one of the people in our group over-ordered by accident so let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Sounds like fun. I have a condo in New Smyrna which is about 25 minutes away. Went to the Rolex 24 hour race a few years ago to watch the start and hang out with people, went home to sleep, got up the next morning and went back to watch the finish. I'm too old to camp out, especially in Nov when it might be cold.

·
Registered
990 Posts
thx, will have to make the short trip up there.

·
Premium Member
12,002 Posts
Daytona is a great experience. Drove down to see the 24 hr race once and was really impressed.

Banking is steep; you see the roof of the cars.

Well lit, which disappointed my friend who wanted to see the glowing brake discs.

HUGE.

Race track in the middle of town. (!)

Ok, weather wasn't the best that one time, but still much better than NJ.

I drove into Daytona in our Toyota minivan (friend, Toyota engineer). He says we're approaching the track.

First, I notice a sign for dog racing. Then, I see this enormous track and think, "They must have some HUGE dogs down here!"

(I'd been driving too long....)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Any FL members care to orchestrate a meetup on the beach or near by park? I'm 30-40 min. from Daytona but would not mind organizing a grill out or other activity. Though is a bit early for that I suppose? xxxotic?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any FL members care to orchestrate a meetup on the beach or near by park? I'm 30-40 min. from Daytona but would not mind organizing a grill out or other activity. Though is a bit early for that I suppose? xxxotic?
I might be down. Let me know what the plan is and I'll see if I can head over. I'm in orlando.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have my condo rented out from Jan-March this year but next year I am not going to rent it in January, since some friends want to get together and go to the race.

Some of my neighbors are old and I remember that one of them said that she used to work there a long time ago, and I think my brother has friends that work at Nascar headquarters across the street, so I will check when I am there in April and see what I can find out or if anyone I know there has contacts at the track. Maybe we could get a private tour, but it might be difficult on the weekend of a major event.

My condo is across the street from the beach and their is a beach entrance ramp about half a mile away with a small park, and I think they have a cookout area. The condo has a clubhouse, but they dont have a grilling area. I asked them to install one when they redid the grounds, but the condo commandos were afraid that someone would start a fire or leave uncooked food out and attract raccoons, rats, snakes and other critters.

I could check into renting the clubhouse, this way if it rains, we wouldnt be stuck outside, but the old people probably already have it reserved for Bingo for the next 10 years!

Another Elise owner lives in the condo across the parking lot from me and an Exige owner lives in the condo across the street from me on the beach, and I remember meeting someone from Orlando at an event a few years ago that that also had a place a few miles away so I know there are a lot of owners in the area.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have my condo rented out from Jan-March this year but next year I am not going to rent it in January, since some friends want to get together and go to the race. EDIT_ REALIZED IT IS IN NOV AND NOT JANUARY WHEN ROLEX 24 HR RACE IS

Some of my neighbors are old and I remember that one of them said that she used to work there a long time ago, and I think my brother has friends that work at Nascar headquarters across the street, so I will check when I am there in April and see what I can find out or if anyone I know there has contacts at the track. Maybe we could get a private tour, but it might be difficult on the weekend of a major event.

My condo is across the street from the beach and their is a beach entrance ramp about half a mile away with a small park, and I think they have a cookout area. The condo has a clubhouse, but they dont have a grilling area. I asked them to install one when they redid the grounds, but the condo commandos were afraid that someone would start a fire or leave uncooked food out and attract raccoons, rats, snakes and other critters.

I could check into renting the clubhouse, this way if it rains, we wouldnt be stuck outside, but the old people probably already have it reserved for Bingo for the next 10 years!

Another Elise owner lives in the condo across the parking lot from me and an Exige owner lives in the condo across the street from me on the beach, and I remember meeting someone from Orlando at an event a few years ago that that also had a place a few miles away so I know there are a lot of owners in the area.

·
Integrator
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SOON! Just a reminder!

Historic Sportscar Racing LTD. (HSR), in association with the Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA) and Vintage Racing Events (VRE), announced today that the first 24-Hour Endurance Race for historic race cars in North America will take place at the famed Daytona International Speedway in Daytona, Fla., Nov. 12-15, 2014.
Please take some pictures if you go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts