The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new one, the front end of my car at higher speeds (over 50mph) has a clatter or clicking noise. I can sometimes curb the noise by pushing on the steering wheel a bit (I assume compressing the column into the rack).

It does not appear to be a chatter that is transmitted to the wheels (at least, not obviously).

I took apart the front end including brakes, nothing was loose or anything. The wheel bearings had no obvious play, and well, I don't know... I was thinking ball joints, but the two on the tie rod ends seem fine (at least, overtly, and the boots are still OK and not ripped out or anything...

Fishin' for ideas...

·
Registered
485 Posts
this wouldn't be the issue with the busted rack and pinion would it? i remember i had mine fixed under warranty and i believe it was an issue for a bunch of other people.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update from long ago, apparently pushing on the wheel was only coincidental (or only a small contributatory factor). Clunk sound in the steering is still there. I think it might be pass front side.

I doubt it's a bearing, I have no noticeable play in the wheel while at a standstill, but the camber does appear to be out out spec. I wonder, how can I tell if the ball joints connecting to the A-arms are bad?

It's not the track rod end (steering rack ball joint).
I did a nut/bolt on all the bolts on all 4 corners, motor mounts, trans mounts, etc. No dice..

Could it be shock body or the spring mounting somehow?

The clunk is more audible when I hit a hole with the pax side.

Thanks...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
My steering rack was replaced under warranty, but not it has started clunking / rattling over bumps. Somewhat disconcerting!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Check the ball joint nuts for tightness? Mine were torqued about finger-tight, other people's were just plain loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts