The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I bought a clay bar yesterday for a 2006 Elise that I just purchased from a dealer a couple of weeks ago. I was reading the manual and Starshield information it came with last night and it said NOT to use a clay bar on the Starshield. Have you ever seen a Starshield damaged by a clay bar? What's the reasoning behind this? Is a clay bar a fairly harsh treatment? If it IS fairly harsh, how often should you use a clay bar if say you are putting a 100-200 miles or so on it each weekend?
You just need to make sure that you are using plenty of lubricant (a QD spray is fine). I've clay-barred my starshield, it's not a problem. Clay bars are not a particularly aggressive method of deep cleaning the paint, IMO. As I understand it, clay bars come in various grades, the professional detailers have access to more aggressive clay bars, but pretty much what is available to the average enthusiast is not going to be capable of doing much harm.

Kind of like the diference between a random orbital like a Porter Cable and a direct rotary. The home enthusiast is well-advised to stick with the PC, the chance of doing any real harm is generally minimal (as long as the recommended methods and materials are followed).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts