The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1987 Lotus Turbo Esprit HCI - Pearl white w/ Blue interior - No mods
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, So last weekend, I finally found some time away from work to spend on getting my Esprit running again after several no starts a few months ago. Feeling dragged down by all the negativity happening around the country I was determined to get my Esprit running, just go cruising & enjoy life again.

Per recommendation, I took the air filter box off to check if the fuel injection air plate was sticking. Once off I could see the air filter was filthy & the plate was pretty dirty. So I had my girlfriend turn the ignition key to see if I could hear the fuel pumps, I couldn't hear them, after a few tries she turns the key again & turns too far, but this time the engine sounds like it's about almost turns over! So, I jump in there and 2 more tries the engine turns over! Go figure..

After warming up the engine checking the plate movement I turned it off to clean the plate. I sprayed some 'Starter Fluid' on a clean cloth an cleaned up the plate by hand, checked & cleaned the all the air hose connections to the box and checked injection lines for any leaks, all good. I replaced the air filter with a matching Mann air filter from a local auto parts store, but re-used the soft rubber surrounding gasket which seemed to fit snugger.

Next day I took the Esprit for a brisk drive on the freeway and some spots around town. I was smiling ear to ear hearing that Turbo waste gate gobble again. Addicted to driving the Esprit again, this week I took several short cruises around town. (pictures below)

Many THANKS to the kind members here who inspired me with some insights & guidance.

Now back to working my list of upcoming maintenance & upgrades, like a new coolant over flow tank.

Looking forward to sharing more!

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
"Addicted to driving the Esprit" by definition means you ALWAYS wanted to drive it!

I clean the fuel vane/plate every time I remove the air filter (and it's mating surface, too).

Amazing what you see fitted as plugs for the mixture adjustment screw! :oops: Fore!!!! :p

Reactions: LotusBloke

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Addicted to driving the Esprit" by definition means you ALWAYS wanted to drive it!

I clean the fuel vane/plate every time I remove the air filter (and it's mating surface, too).

Amazing what you see fitted as plugs for the mixture adjustment screw! :oops: Fore!!!! :p

Yes! Oh it's a plug! I wondering what a red Golf Tee was doing in there! 😄

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
Seriously, that golf tee has to be securely sealed. We have a bolt in ours...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh crap, really? I assumed that 'golf tee like' plastic piece was installed at the factory when coverted to US F.I. specs.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
No, from the factory it was 'sealed' with goop as regular folks were not supposed to touch the mixture screw. (Kind of like the caps they put on carb mixture screws to inhibit adjustment)

Under that Tee is a fitting for a 3 mm hex wrench, but if you can feel it move you adjusted it too much! You REALLY need to monitor the Frequency Valve Duty Cycle to accurately set mixture. Ours hasn't been touched for 15 - 20 years...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I have seen all kinds of things used to plug the hole. Bolts, sheet metal screws, golf tees, tape, you name it. Originally it was a tapered plug. Once the mixture is set, the factory sealed it with a plug to prevent tampering. As a practical matter, once set properly it should not need to be touched. If the mixture is not correct it is almost always because something else is wrong. Adjusting the mixture will not fix anything and it is VERY sensitive, a tiny bit of adjustment has a large effect. The golf tee is OK, just make sure it is in there good and not leaking. Make sure the sensor plate is clean, the venturi is clean and the air sensor plate is not touching the sides of the venturi. If necessary you can loosen the bolt and move the plate to center it so it doesn't touch. With that much dirt on the sensor plate it means you have an air leak and dirty air is getting past the air filter and collecting on the plate (or it has been a VERY long time since anyone was in there and cleaned it).
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
With that much dirt on the sensor plate it means you have an air leak and dirty air is getting past the air filter
More likely, oily air is entering through the crankcase vent (which is plumbed into the air filter housing AFTER the filter, on 4 cyl Esprits).

Just keep an eye out.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice insights, guys!

I did check the golf tee it was in there really tight & I checked the plate which seemed like it wasn't touching & floating freely. I think a possible air leak was under the air box, the large hose was quite snug, crank hose (which I cleaned both side to get a better seal) or the filter wasn't snug or just never changed (by the looks of it).

But, overall lots dirt on / around the engine and old hoses & wires that attention. I would like to do a total refresh.
BUT man, working in this tight engine bay, leaning over & in to get access sure does number on my back! 😩

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts