The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my '06 Exige stays clean 100% of the time, is pretty much always driven lightly, and has never seen a gravel road. However, my TB was impossibly dirty, caked up with some sort of black/brown sticky terribleness. And my air-filter, which I replaced with my Cup Car airbox just 10K miles ago, was TERRIBLE too. What the hell is going on here?

Air filter before cleaning...

Throttle body before cleaning...

My finger, after tilting the butterfly and dragging it along the bottom...

Is this normal?

·
Registered
645 Posts
mine is similar. i think its because it sucks air from the scoop which is low to the ground and sucks in all the air being churned up from the front wheels. IDK but mine is the same. i change my filter all the time

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back from a blast through the twisties. Wow, I need to do that more often. Car is definitely a lot smoother, but at slow speeds it almost feels like the on-off throttle response is a bit more jerky. Might be my imagination, might just be a bit more precise. In any case, I'm very happy with the results! Makes me wonder if I should dig into other things with only 24K on the clock.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Need to remember that you have oil blow by going into the throttle body from the valve cover. Hot wet oil gasses and a little bit of fine dirt that makes it thru the airfilter are what you are finding. I change my Cup Air Box filter twice a season (at least) and no longer have the valve cover venting going to the throttle body. Results......a clean TB.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ditto to a lot of the above..clean the MAF while you're at it, it's right there and easy anyways. A can of MAF cleaner is only like 4 bucks.

I would say cleaning the air filter depends on how gunked up it gets--I check mine regularly, but tend to clean it every other oil change. Mine gets covered in black tire grime, so that's probably a lot of what you're seeing. Since the filter draws from right there it sucks tons of road crap up-especially if you're de-snorkeled.

Cleaning the TB probably only needs to happen every 20k unless you feel it's being sluggish. Is your car SC? Forced induction cars naturally have mmuch more blow by than an NA car...when I cleaned my NA at 42ish I had very very little blowby. If you are seeing a lot on a low mileage, non-SC car, I would keep an eye on leaky gaskets somewhere and/or invest in a catch can.

Catch cans are a good investment anyways to prevent this..I will be adding one to mine even though I dont REALLY need it at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
+1 for the catch cans. Also bypass your coolant lines to tb as it comes off really easy afterward

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Need to remember that you have oil blow by going into the throttle body from the valve cover. Hot wet oil gasses and a little bit of fine dirt that makes it thru the airfilter are what you are finding. I change my Cup Air Box filter twice a season (at least) and no longer have the valve cover venting going to the throttle body. Results......a clean TB.
Thanks for the info. What filter do you use? Also, where do you vent your VC?

While you are in there dont forget to clean the MAF sensor for even more happiness, its in the air flow between filter and TB.
Will do next time!

Mine gets covered in black tire grime, so that's probably a lot of what you're seeing. Since the filter draws from right there it sucks tons of road crap up-especially if you're de-snorkeled.
Sounds legit, and yes, I'm de-snorkeled.

Forced induction cars naturally have much more blow by than an NA car...when I cleaned my NA at 42ish I had very very little blowby. If you are seeing a lot on a low mileage, non-SC car, I would keep an eye on leaky gaskets somewhere and/or invest in a catch can.
Which gaskets would those be?

Catch cans are a good investment anyways to prevent this..I will be adding one to mine even though I dont REALLY need it at some point.
Never heard of a catch-can on a N/A car, which one do you recommend?

Also bypass your coolant lines to tb as it comes off really easy afterward.
You lost me here, is there a how-to on this somewhere?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation is why the TB gets dirty. Effective side scoop aero is why the air filter gets dirty. The idle speed motor is adapting, give the car a bit of time to adapt to the cleaner airflow. Next time use an 8k mile interval for the air filter.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What filter do you use? And do you have the Cup Car airbox?
I have a custom intake with k&n cone filter. If looks like you have a trd filter? which you use oil on right? If so maybe some oil gets sucked in and thats why the tb is extra dirty. Dirt sticks to oil. At the shop i work at ive had customers oil there filter so much there car barley runs. Sometimes less is more.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
The oil vapor on a na car gets sucked passed the throttle plate same in any retrofitted intake. We use catch cans to diminish oil building up in the intercooler but the same benefit can be had from a na. Even on a gmc I have to clean the tb every 12k miles for top performance.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation is why the TB gets dirty. Effective side scoop aero is why the air filter gets dirty. The idle speed motor is adapting, give the car a bit of time to adapt to the cleaner airflow. Next time use an 8k mile interval for the air filter.
Good to know, thanks, 8K it is.

If looks like you have a trd filter? which you use oil on right? If so maybe some oil gets sucked in and thats why the tb is extra dirty. Dirt sticks to oil. At the shop i work at ive had customers oil there filter so much there car barley runs. Sometimes less is more.
Yes, it's the TRD, and it came pre-oiled. I think I'll take it out in a few thousand miles, clean it, and also clean the MAF.

The oil vapor on a na car gets sucked passed the throttle plate same in any retrofitted intake. We use catch cans to diminish oil building up in the intercooler but the same benefit can be had from a na. Even on a gmc I have to clean the tb every 12k miles for top performance.
Which one do you suggest I purchase?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
As others have stated it is not really needed fi na but it keeps things cleaner. I use the sakoimuchi set up made for elise but just as easy is bypass coolant lines to throttle body and removal is a breeze for cleaning. Btw if the car idles funny clean the iac with maf cleaner. It should be done with the throttle body off. I use maf cleaner.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
i have catch cans also and IIRC still notice some dirt in the TB, but it's been a while (maybe 5k or so) since I looked in there.

every 3k...
change oil & filter
clean air filter
clean MAF
empty catch cans
* clean TB

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gotta' tell you guys, I hate removing that cup-car airbox, maybe I'll try to get a different type so that removal and cleaning can be done every 3K. Can anyone recommend me a good cone type that plays nice with the Elise/Exige?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
The cup car box is a lot easier to deal with than the stock box, though they're both a pain.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts