The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best stuff to remove stubborn grime and old brake dust from those LSS wheels (on the sport package)? Are there any coatings on the wheels that I need to beware of? Is there anything that will stain or discolor them that I should avoid?

It seems that all wheels are different, and have unique care requirements...

Thanks, Todd

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Insert sound of chirping crickets here....... So, I guess I'll just go with a wire brush and some turpentine? ;)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just got one of these to help me along.

·
Registered
476 Posts
How do you like it?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just listen to Goldberg and get yourself some Black Magic! :evil:

·
Registered
247 Posts
After two years of fighting the grim on mine, I am ready to give and just paint them black. I just can't find anything to keep them looking clean. Really frustrating.

I anyone has a miracle solution, please do tell!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
After two years of fighting the grim on mine, I am ready to give and just paint them black. I just can't find anything to keep them looking clean. Really frustrating.

I anyone has a miracle solution, please do tell!
Change from your stock brake pads. There are better ones that produce less brake dust. And just wash them each time you wash your car. Its a pita but I do it each time anyway.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
How do you like it?

I'll prolly be trying it for the first time this weekend.

Also a trick of mine for those with black wheels. Is polishing them with Tire shine.

Sounds weird i know but it really makes them shine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Also a trick of mine for those with black wheels. Is polishing them with Tire shine.

Sounds weird i know but it really makes them shine.
Can you say...Tire Shine SLING!! Sorry friends, the LSS wheel is simply a pain in the arse. The best way to clean them is with your hands as an agitator. Some of my favorite wheel cleaners include p21s gel wheel cleaner and Meguire's wheel brightner (be careful with using this on aluminum). To get those black dots out after the above doesn't work is to use a clay bar.

This kit is great for the LSS wheels...It includes my FAVORITE wheel brush:
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush Bundle, clean wheels, dress tires, best wheel brush, flexible wheel brush, auto brush, detailing brush

A small black painter's brush also fits inbetween the spokes of the LSS wheel.

As for painting/powdercoating the wheel black, well, you STILL have to clean it, or else it may turn into this:

Notice the remaining brown from absolute neglect. These wheels were beyond savable so we were allowed to take risky measures in an attempt to save them. The most aggressive wheel cleaners didn't do a thing. A copper bristle brush and metal parts cleaner from a local cycle shop and 10 minutes of aggitation on a small area helped, but the brake dust was simply insane.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Change from your stock brake pads. There are better ones that produce less brake dust. And just wash them each time you wash your car. Its a pita but I do it each time anyway.
There are people who don't wash their wheels every time they wash their car? WTF? Wiiierd!

As for painting them black being a cure-all, no such luck. Unfortunately black wheels turn bronze when they get brakedusty. :(

Here's what would have been a cool pic of my car had my wheels not been fiiiiilllthy. See how being black doesn't help?

Just washed them yesterday, all i used was a microfiber rag and my wash bucket. I've never found a wheel brush that can get in the corners appropriately. They weren't bad enough to need ovencleaner this time.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
50/50 mixture of Simple Green & water. Spray it on 15 minutes before you wash the car, and wash the wheels every time.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Newbies: If you do a search, you'll find out to NEVER use wheel cleaner on your wheels. Soap, water, and frequent cleaning.... Michelin brake dust repellant works too.....Switch to Porterfield R4S pads.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Keep Simple Green away from any aluminum.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
After you clean your rims, wax them! it will make them a lot easier to clean the next couple of washes.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Can you say...Tire Shine SLING!! Sorry friends, the LSS wheel is simply a pain in the arse. insane.
i still think my way is the easiest and most efficient of all mentioned here.

Tire shine SLING. doesnt occur. If it did i wouldnt do it. You wipe it on with a rag. And then let dry. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts