The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Cleaning headliner...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  fasttoys 
#1 ·
(I think that's what it's called)

What's the best way to clean this felt cloth material? I don't want to screw it up. It's got over 20,000 miles of road dust built up. I know how to clean everything except this...

Mine is light creme color, matching the oyster leather combo. I'm afraid if I clean it wrong the dirt will just embed itself deeper into the felt.

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
remove it - beat the hell out of it and install sound deadening mat underneath it and re-install :D

Ok - maybe not beat it but you can vacuum it just fine from my experience. If it is really dirty I would try one of those deep carpet cleaners but go very easy on the spray.

#3 ·
Worst advice ever! lol. The problem with cleaning a headliner is that you have to use as little liquid possible. The best way is to spot clean with a cloth and a cleaner.

#4 ·
My headliner is coming off. Almost half of it. Car is 15 months old, never parked in the sun or rain except when I am using it and that's about twice a month for 2 hours. Mileage less than 6000 miles. Its black so don't know if it is dirty or not but probably not that dirty. Will ask lotus to repair it since it is still under warranty.
But don't your headliners peel off in US ? Must be the heat here in Malaysia.
I don't think it is that expensive to change the headliner so I would say just change it. It's some kind of cheap cloth material.

#5 ·
Wait. your headliner is black?. I didn't know you could get a black headliner. IMHO I love the look of a black headliner. I think the tan headliner cheapens the interior of the car

#8 ·
Sorry it may be dark grey to match the Alcantra for my seats. Need to check. I bought my car new from Lotus Malaysia so claiming warranty should not be a problem. If not I will be very mad at Lotus. I was speaking to a friend last weekend and he had the same problem but Lotus repaired for him eventhgounhis warranty is just over. Will know next week as I intend to send it in for service A next week. Am waiting for my RLS intercooler tubes and heat shield to arrive before I send in so Lotus can install for me at the same time.

PS I am hoping that all problems will surface over the next 6 months as my warranty ends Dec nothing else seems to have gone wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.