The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a PUMA suit and have seen the Molecule products...are these any good or just like expensive Tide?

How does one clean Nomex in general, is dry cleaning or light cold water cycle ok? And the same for pigskin/nomex gloves and shoes.

Lastly, what about the inside of a helmet if your liner is not removeable? Can I dab with like water with a little ammonia or something?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's best to dry clean the Puma suit, the stretch panels will pill from the wash. Handwash the gloves while wearing them & they won't lose shape.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I hand wash my nomex (suits, balaclavas, underwear) with regular laundry soap, rinse and drip dry. If you wear a balaclava every time you don your helmet, you won't need to clean the liner and it will last alot longer. Never use ammonia inside your helmet!:eek:
I don't know why you would need the Molecule products.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i only clean my suits with molecule... its the only cleaner designed specifically for nomex and its cheaper than getting your suit dry cleaned. my suits need to be in perfect shape for what i race, but i still think you should you use quality cleaners and protectants on a piece of equipment that could keep you from catching fire! plus the wash is only $20..

read more about it: Molecule Labs' Products Clean and Protect Nomex & Other Technical Fabrics

if you don't care, just throw it in with tide, but the best way to clean and maintain your suit is to use this stuff.. also, be careful washing your gloves.. if they have leather on them, the leather might harden from the wash.

pm me, i might be able to get you a free sample.

robbie

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
I've got a PUMA suit and have seen the Molecule products...are these any good or just like expensive Tide?

How does one clean Nomex in general, is dry cleaning or light cold water cycle ok? And the same for pigskin/nomex gloves and shoes.

Lastly, what about the inside of a helmet if your liner is not removeable? Can I dab with like water with a little ammonia or something?
Peter,

I just (heard about and) used the Molecule products -- worked fantastically well. Cleaned up my two year old suit, made it look new and smell great -- highly recommend the product.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I only launder my money rotfl ( and if you believe that....... )

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's like this...

ANY dirt or contaminant in contact with a Nomex firesuit will reduce its capability.
(especially fuels/oils etc. of course).

The only way to ensure full protection is to never get any dirt or contaminant on the suit.

If you wet wash the suit you may remove some (but not all) of the dirt but you will leave behind chemicals from the washing process - so you still have two sources of contamination (and therefore reduction in performance).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, washing a suit will not remove the solvents that may have gotten on it. The only way I know of to assure complete removal of all solvents is to have the suit dry cleaned. I don't know if the Molecule products will remove the solvents or not.

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
...... I don't know if the Molecule products will remove the solvents or not.
It supposedly does..... use cleaner/wash product and then protector product....see the website posted above for details

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, washing a suit will not remove the solvents that may have gotten on it. The only way I know of to assure complete removal of all solvents is to have the suit dry cleaned. I don't know if the Molecule products will remove the solvents or not.
yea, it removes the solvents/dirt/etc and protects the nomex from contaminants in the future... its much cheaper than dry cleaning, which i've done for my suits in the past..

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
According to Stand 21, washing your suit actually increases it's resistance to fire since it purges all the extraneous chemicals used on the fabric mfg process. If it weren't for my front load washer I'd be concerned about the agitator in top loaders stressing out the seams and streching out the suit.

Jack - are you saying that washing your suit prior to using the Molecule stuff was ineffective or that you simply did not wash your suit before? I was wondering this the last time I saw you at the track. !-)

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
Jack - are you saying that washing your suit prior to using the Molecule stuff was ineffective or that you simply did not wash your suit before? I was wondering this the last time I saw you at the track. !-)
I wash my suit ever three years whether it needs it or not. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts