The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on polishing up CF bodywork? Can it even be shined up?
The sun seems to wreak havoc on the CF on my car.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Did the CF get to the point where the clearcoat is peeling?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it has just become sort of dull and there are what I would refer to as "stains" (which were already showing up when I took possession of the car), where the CF is sort bleached a bit.

Don't really mind it all that much as it creates a bit of a patina, but I just looked at some old pics of the car and was reminded about how shiny it used to be

·
Registered
646 Posts
here's a thread detailing the restoration of an oxidized carbon fiber hood...hopefully this is of some use...Carbon Fiber Hood Oxidizing - Honda-Tech

So i bought a carbon fiber hood a few months back that was oxidizing and i recently decided to fix it. So i searched and there are a few options...wet sand and re clear or the cheap way of polish compound and wax... total cost was about 50 bucks and time was about 1.5 hours I could have got it cheaper online but i went to a local marina parts store in gulport. I know this topic has been posted many times but i just wanted to share my personal success with this diy...

products i used

Before

After

Oh and i used those little ass applicator pads next time i will buy a buffer...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool, thanks much :up:

·
shay2nak
25,161 Posts
maybe cover the parts with clear bra after you polish 'em up. ??

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you want to due a thorough job after polishing, you might want to spray a clear coat with UV protectant on it. Most carbon fiber pieces only have a gel coat and do not have a clear coat.

Or if you're lazy like me, put on a car wax with UV protectant on it.

·
shay2nak
25,161 Posts
clear bra has UV protectant and you'll keep your carbon free from chips. (depending where it is on the car)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts