The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is available or invented for cleaning behind the binnacle? Trying to clean and condition the dash as well as clean the windscreen.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure on the leather, but on the windshield, a paint mixing stick and mirco fiber cloth work for me. It's cheap, stays flat, and gets way down to the edge...

AB

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Not sure on the leather, but on the windshield, a paint mixing stick and mirco fiber cloth work for me. It's cheap, stays flat, and gets way down to the edge...

AB
Yep, a paint mixing stick or a cut down yard stick with a microfiber on the end and some Stoner's Invisible Glass works well on the windshield. A person with small hands and skinny arms (your kid, girlfriend, wife, etc.) should be able to get behind the binnacle with a microfiber and some leather conditioner to clean the dash/binnacle. Note: Do the leather first before cleaning the windshield or you will get to clean the windshield all over again to get off the smeared on leather conditioner your helper just applied to your previously cleaned windshield. :wallbang:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE...

You mean I DON"T need to remove the binnacle for cleaning behind it once in a while????
:crazyeyes :wallbang:

(Although, you should remove it at least ONCE. You can replace all the instrument lamps at the same time...) :bow:

On a G-body Esprit the instruments are hard to see at night.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Atwell wrote:
On a G-body Esprit the instruments are hard to see at night.
rotfl

That's an understatement!

The single flashlight bulb with an optical filament to each gauge was not one of Lotus' best ideas on how to save weight. I'd have gladly traded up for multiple bulbs and the ability to actually see the gauges at night. It's nice to know the water temp and the fuel level, even at night.

And while on the subject of the G-car binnacle lighting: The decision not to change electrical connectors for the binnacle wiring for the Federal Turbo cars to allow an additional wire for the turn signal indicators was an even worse decision than the gauge lighting. Call me crazy, but I think that each directional signal should have a discrete indicator on a $50k car in the '80s. My '77 does. I've always thought it would be interesting to talk with the guys that made this particular decision.

OK, rant off.

I still love these cars. :clap:

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Griot's Garage has some good products for cleaning the interior. For the leather go to leatherique.com.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ditto Leatherique for the leather. GREAT product.

Re the lighting, I found out that if you don't press the SIDES of the switches, the semi-opaque middle sections of the switches showing what they are (e.g. headlights, parking lights, etc...) will come loose, and you'll have to remove the button and re-glue them!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,318 Posts
Re the lighting, I found out that if you don't press the SIDES of the switches, the semi-opaque middle sections of the switches showing what they are (e.g. headlights, parking lights, etc...) will come loose, and you'll have to remove the button and re-glue them!
Even if they don't come loose, the icons will wear out. :mad:

So, on 88 - 97 Esprits, always press the sides of the switches, NOT the icons in the center. :no:

These switches are from a Morris Metro IIRC. Or some kind of not-sold-in-the-USA economy car. :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts