The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My S2 JPS is finally up and running. Going in for a full re-paint on the weekend, which will be awesome.

But, the interior is another question; the car was sitting un-used for 16 years (!!!) and the grime has built up on the seats / carpet. It's all in pretty good condition, just dirty. I have already bought some good leather conditioner and am committed to rubbing that in frequently until the leather expands / cleans up adequately, but does anyone know:

- best way to clean the seat material (not the leather portions)?
- best way to clean the other non-leather portions of the interior (carpet / mats)?

Or anything else I should keep in mind when attempting to clean up inside?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
My favorite for anything fabric is Resolve. I have tried everything in the past, but this does a great job and it's in every supermarket.

For any hard plastics, vinyls, and leather -- get ready for this -- Magic Eraser from Mr Clean, also at all supermarkets. It's unbelievable for making these surfaces look like new again.

But be very careful with Magic Eraser and test it in a safe area first. You cannot go crazy with it (which is easy to do because it works so well, you naturally think more of a good thing is better) or it will harm the surface. Keep it very wet, light pressure, rinse it well frequently, dry the area with a towel immediately, and buy lots of them. It may take a dozen sponges to do the interior of the Lotus.

For the wrinkles in the leather, do your best to stretch them flat and rub them lightly with the Eraser. The wrinkles practically disappear when you get them clean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My favorite for anything fabric is Resolve. I have tried everything in the past, but this does a great job and it's in every supermarket.

For any hard plastics, vinyls, and leather -- get ready for this -- Magic Eraser from Mr Clean, also at all supermarkets. It's unbelievable for making these surfaces look like new again.

But be very careful with Magic Eraser and test it in a safe area first. You cannot go crazy with it (which is easy to do because it works so well, you naturally think more of a good thing is better) or it will harm the surface. Keep it very wet, light pressure, rinse it well frequently, dry the area with a towel immediately, and buy lots of them. It may take a dozen sponges to do the interior of the Lotus.

For the wrinkles in the leather, do your best to stretch them flat and rub them lightly with the Eraser. The wrinkles practically disappear when you get them clean.
Thanks. I'm in Australia, so in terms of translation, is Resolve like a pump spray fabric cleaner? I wondered about dry cleaning from those dudes that do carpets / drapes?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Thanks. I'm in Australia, so in terms of translation, is Resolve like a pump spray fabric cleaner? I wondered about dry cleaning from those dudes that do carpets / drapes?
Here's a link to their product line:
Trust Resolve®. Forget Stains test

If I have a large area to clean, I will spray the Resolve evenly, rub it in with a brush, and then rinse it out with plain warm water in a carpet cleaner like this one:
Hoover Platinum Collection Carpet Cleaner Spin Scrub Attachment Review | The Night Owl Mama

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a link to their product line:
Trust Resolve®. Forget Stains test

If I have a large area to clean, I will spray the Resolve evenly, rub it in with a brush, and then rinse it out with plain warm water in a carpet cleaner like this one:
Hoover Platinum Collection Carpet Cleaner Spin Scrub Attachment Review | The Night Owl Mama
ah, I see. Thanks heaps for that. I do believe we have something similar here, albeit with the colours up the other way, of course :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts