The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm on my second day of detailing the car and I will need about two weeks to do it right.
What is the best and least painful way of cleaning under the glass back area?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you mean the main back winfow, keep in mind there are two panels of glass, so you have 4 sides to clean. The innermost side is pretty easy - just put the seats forward. Then lift up the tailgate to get the "middle" two. Wear soft clothes that won't scratch and pre-wet a paper towel with glass cleaner to reach in from each side. Long arms help! Then finally lower the tailgate to get the outermost.

If your arm alone isn't cutting it, I would recommend a microfiber wand, like this:
Stoner 95161 Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool:Amazon:Automotive

"Invisible Glass" is also the cleaner I would recommend.

If you mean the two small side windows, a long arm or the wand is also the way to go.
Hope this helps.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you mean the main back winfow, keep in mind there are two panels of glass, so you have 4 sides to clean. The innermost side is pretty easy - just put the seats forward. Then lift up the tailgate to get the "middle" two. Wear soft clothes that won't scratch and pre-wet a paper towel with glass cleaner to reach in from each side. Long arms help! Then finally lower the tailgate to get the outermost.

If your arm alone isn't cutting it, I would recommend a microfiber wand, like this:
Stoner 95161 Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool:Amazon:Automotive

"Invisible Glass" is also the cleaner I would recommend.

If you mean the two small side windows, a long arm or the wand is also the way to go.
Hope this helps.
It did help and I figured almost as much.
The previous owner said hed clean the area by lifting up the hatch,removing the engine cover and getting into the boot and reaching through the hole left by the engine cover grills and clean.
This fella is almost my size. No waycan I see anyone do that besides icabod crane.
The hatch just doesnt open very wide. Maybe 30-35 degrees. What a pain using an extension to keep it clean.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,101 Posts
The hatch just doesnt open very wide. Maybe 30-35 degrees. What a pain using an extension to keep it clean.
35 degrees? Pshaw. :p

You need one of the following:

New lift struts that will hold the hatch open all the way

OR

A "Lift-Lok" type supplement that will prop your hatch fully open.

OR

"Lotus Tool #1" (A broom handle cut to length, with a tennis ball stuck on each end)

Then, it is possible to reach in and clean the glass with your own arms and hands.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Atwell.
Would you when its convenient take a pic. of your car with the hatch up.
I figured when I first got the car something was wrong with hatch height at full lock.
Reading and reading about the owners working and reaching for subjects on the top of the engine with the hatch up was making me think owners were stick symbols.
Sigh.
Id appreciate it.
Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
The first parts I ever got for my Esprit were hatch lift struts, I installed them and was disappointed because it did not open as far as the ones on the car that were failing. The ones I ordered were for the car "with wing" I did this thinking they had more opening power, turns out I sent them back and ordered ones "without wing" it opened all the way almost. I cant explain that one. Its like two inches from full open in the photo as its cold in my shop without the heat on.

My car was wingless from the factory.

Attachments

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You.
My hatch is nothing like that.
Half plus just a bit more.
Thank You again.
Mike E.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good call on the struts. I have the locking kind so that it will stay in place on its own and then release without having to put any pressure on it to close.

FYI - if you need to get at the far back of the engine, you can also pop the struts off (at the top) and the tailgate will go completely vertical without any problem. Just get someone help you so it doesn't slam down.

To get the struts back on, you simply move the free tailgate into position to pop them back on. On mine, one strut is longer than the other, so the long one goes back on first.

This would also be the procedure to replace them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts