The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Californians take action against lotus profits

i 've got an idea for all of us calfornians to prevent lotus from profiting off the starshield option. i know a guy in San Diego that owns a clear-bra business who will be able to give us a pretty big discount on a group buy for the clear-bra and installation. i haven't tried to call him yet but would anyone be intrested? please post a reply if you feel like this may be for you, ofcourse we're not getting a lotus 3 year warranty but i'm sure they have a similar warranty. i doubt lotus would even honor such a warranty judging from how they've been treating us. group buy anyone?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think a group buy clear bra install is a good idea. If I were you I'd wait until more cars have arrived, though, to get enough people to make this worthwhile.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i would do is work a 10-20 group deal and take $100 deposits to give the clear-bra guy so he knows we're serious and whenever the rest of the group buyers have their cars, they will go to him and pay the balance they owe for the group buy install instead of knowing he could lose a 10-20 car deal to other competitors. i had my car installed by someone else 3 years ago and it cost me $500-600 i can't remember, but if we had a group buy it might cost $400-500? maybe? i'm just speculating, don't quote me on anything just yet. might even be $350. who knows, i figure it's cheaper now there's so much competition since i've had it installed 3 years ago. but i'll ask him if there's enough intrest.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
(I edited the title so people will know what the heck this thread is about ;) )

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was going to do the same, but i'm so angry right now i said F it! it stays!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Lol. Well, I left the old one in there for ya. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Sector 111 sells the 3M Clear Bra and would be willing to offer a significant discount for a group buy. Can you find 10 people or more who are interested?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
shinoo said:
Sector 111 sells the 3M Clear Bra and would be willing to offer a significant discount for a group buy. Can you find 10 people or more who are interested?
Yeah, it can be ordered from Sector 111 and if you're not comfortable installing it yourself, you can have a reputable window tint shop apply it.

I'd like to set up a group buy. Shinoo, what can you offer?

Your kit is a bit different than the others since the pieces are smaller, so it might be easier for a self install.

I've gotten feedback from another vendor that offers the Xpel kit.

I've installed the Xpel kit on my Passat and it was fairly easy, just had to be patient. Thinking about doing a self install on the Elise.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: Californians take action against lotus profits

majorbonr said:
i 've got an idea for all of us calfornians to prevent lotus from profiting off the starshield option. i know a guy in San Diego that owns a clear-bra business who will be able to give us a pretty big discount on a group buy for the clear-bra and installation. i haven't tried to call him yet but would anyone be intrested? please post a reply if you feel like this may be for you, ofcourse we're not getting a lotus 3 year warranty but i'm sure they have a similar warranty. i doubt lotus would even honor such a warranty judging from how they've been treating us. group buy anyone?
I can understand you wanting to do the clear bra yourself if you have more time than money but I must say that they did an excellent job on mine and I'm picking about such things. The Elise is not an easy car to do (many cut outs) just try waxing the car if you haven't already, to find out just how many nooks and crannies exist. I would suggest that if you can afford it,just have it done and you will have more time to drive the car. Besides, Lotus is not making a bundle off of this, and I hope that they continue to build cars and remain solvent as a company and I don't believe that they are gouging you. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I would be careful telling people that window tint shops can install Clearbra. Out of the three window tint shops I deal with not one installs a Clearbra type product. It is a completely different install.
Window tint is very thin and doesn't stretch much if any. Whereas the 3M product we are having installed on our cars painted surfaces is fairly stretchy and has quite a bit of adhesive on the back.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah I watched a Starshield guy installing a set and there's NO WAY I'd try to do it myself or trust anyone but an experienced pro.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mikester said:
Yeah I watched a Starshield guy installing a set and there's NO WAY I'd try to do it myself or trust anyone but an experienced pro.
I too have watched a Starshield installer install the clear bra film on my old M3 and it is NOT an easy task, and he said my M3 was a pretty easy install compared to other vehicles. I can only imagine how dificult it would be installing it on the front end of a lotus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paint Protection Dealers

Dear Lotus Friends,

You can locate a Factory-Trained XPEL Dealer of clear bras at www.xpel.com. This search feature works for the U.S. and Canada only. Simply type in your zip code in at the blue "Find an Installer" button.

For XPEL Dealers located in Europe or Latin America, please call (800) 447-9928.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts