The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A. My clear bra is pulling if the car at the right indented area by the side marker... can I trim this? Dealer warranty? Just take it to an installer to trim (see pic)
B. About to wax for the firtst time... do I wax the clear bra? Just skip covered portions?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
A. My clear bra is pulling if the car at the right indented area by the side marker... can I trim this? Dealer warranty? Just take it to an installer to trim (see pic)
B. About to wax for the firtst time... do I wax the clear bra? Just skip covered portions?

Thanks.
Needs to be cleaned and treated by a professional to get it to adhere properly. I would leave it to a pro.

You can wax/polish normally but avoid petroleum-based products and stay away from the edges if you have them as you don't want the wax/polish to build up on the edges.

San

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So no big and tar removers, but wax based Carnauba is ok? I tried googling but so much advice was conflicting.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The photos to me look like it was applied poorly and has lifted away from the car. I do not believe that is fixable, but rather it needs to be removed and replaced.

You are definitely supposed to put some sort of coating on top of PPF - was suggested to me that it should be a ceramic or other more modern paint protectant application. UV will discolor the film eventually (yellow) so it's important to provide the same type of UV protection you'd want for paint to prevent that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can very carefully trim the portion that has lifted with an x-acto knife. You just want to score the film, not cut all the way through (and into the paint), then pull away that piece. Let a pro do it if you're not comfortable with that.

Wax, sealant, or ceramic coating is fine on PPF but if you are using wax, avoid the edges.

Reactions: Crazy05

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long does this film last?

God knows how much sun its seen at the dealer the last 2 years but I will have it garaged and a weekend car only.

·
Registered
824 Posts
How long does this film last?

God knows how much sun its seen at the dealer the last 2 years but I will have it garaged and a weekend car only.
10+ years if properly maintained. My OEM was yellowing and the edges were lifting a bit at ~7 years of age, but it definitely wasn't maintained.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I just saw this thread. I worked at 3M Automotive back in the 90s and worked on clearbra urethane film. The current generation products are even better. Your bra has lifted and dirt has gotten in. There is no way to fix that other than to cut it out. A good applicator is capable of doing just that.

These films were wear out with exposure to UV, heat and normal use (road tar, bugs, chemicals, etc). The films are tested against these contaminants - would you believe there is a lab test that hurls gravel at film mounted to painted panels? There a good folks in white lab coats doing this along with a plethora of others tests. :nerd:

Clearbra will wear out and need to be removed. We have found that if they have gotten too old - they will peel up the paint on a Lotus Elise/Exige. The clearbra adhesive gets quite strong over the years and will overcome the adhesive bond between the paint/primer/composite.

I think it is a product that should be replaced by a pro every 5yrs or so.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I was told that those films yellow over the years. Luckily I have a yellow car. After 10 years, the covered areas on my car still look the same color as the rest of the car, so I am lucky.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Ceramic coatings have improved substantially, will provide far better protection than wax, and can be used on paint and film. I have tried most of them and found GTECHNIQ is one of the easiest to install without the product flashing. They all make ceramic coatings for wheels and calipers which make brake dust removal incredibly easy. I use P&S Bead Maker as a drying aid on the paint, film and wheels. It's a great topper over ceramic coatings and will make the coatings last a lot longer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I removed some of my 9yo film a few months ago, was a real PITA to remove, but glad it didn’t pull up the paint as mentioned above! It was very yellow and crazed (as expected in the Aussie sun). I have left the front bumper and rear quarter film for now (as it seems to work well protecting against stone chips). Might get some new film reapplied down the track, paint underneath was as new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
XPEL

Thanks.
dogtag114,

A - As the film is lifting, if it's XPEL it would be covered under warranty. That looks like a high contour area where it's difficult to stick sometimes, but regardless, it should not look like that. Go back to your installer and have them fix or replace it. They may be able to trim it, but that may lead to less protected area so they may end up just replacing that entire piece. If it's not XPEL material, then we still recommend you going back to your installer to fix/replace as any installer who cares about quality will do what it takes to make it right.

B - You do not need to wax necessarily. But, you do need to clean and maintain the film (true of any brand). Just as you would clean your paint, you need to clean/maintain your clear bra. Just be sure never to use any waxes or sealants that contain petroleum distillates. This is true for any brand of film as petroleum and plastic (clear bra) do not play well together. The most popular method is to have your vehicle ceramic coated. This will make your paint and film much easier to clean and it'll even add a touch of gloss and candy coated shine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts