The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See this Aubergine Elise picture... (resides at GG website - copyright, kudos, genuflection to them)...

http://www.gglotus.org/gghotnews/visit3-25/aubergine.jpg

It has a clear bra fitted... see the line running from the front of the rad' opening down to the highlight on the left - that's the edge of the 3M material.

To all intents and purposes it's invisible and worth its weight in gold... well worth the investment - and clearly Lotus think so too. I'm surprised to see the line there - it's not standard - so this must be a custom install. Hoepfully our dealers will be able to oblige 'cos clearly the UK kit fits the US car as one would expect.

:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The clear bra is worth it. I put one on my Passat. Was easy, like doing window tint. But, the Passat doesn't have as many curves as the Elise, so I'll have her clear bra done by a pro.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
While at Lotus this past Thursday I watched a professional put this 3m stuff on the car (aubergine was one of the ones he did that day). Talked with him a bit about it. He said the front end was really tough because of the curves and such. He did an exc. job and you really had to look closely to see the lines.

I also noted, he worked with 12"(?) wide strips, not pre cut pieces. In doing the nose, he appeared to cover the lights as well and then trimmed the the material around the lights where the gaskets were. This gives added protection to the lights.

Quite nice.
Chris

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yes, you want it on the lights. The lenses are not cheap to replace. The pieces on my Passat's lenses are much thicker than whats on the paint. Hopefully that'll be the case for the production protection kit.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
zvez,

do you happen to know who did the job?

was it Mike at Dynashield?

He's very well thought of in the clearbra installation biz, and he's in Atlanta I believe.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Any idea why he was using strips instead of pre-cuts ;

I would hope the installation time would be less with pre-cut pieces, although I am sure the strips are less expensive...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ivan1 said:
Any idea why he was using strips instead of pre-cuts ;

I would hope the installation time would be less with pre-cut pieces, although I am sure the strips are less expensive...

But the Xpel pre-cut price is pretty high. I am sure 3M wholesale price for the material is much much less. I would much prefer someone that know what that are doing to install the material using 3M raw tapes than any pre-cuts. I think you will get a better fit and more coverages.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
YOu can buy the film from xpel in bulk (I buy it in 12" by how many ever feet I need).

No idea why he wasn't using a kit, probably much cheaper and he can trim the areas and doesn't have to worry about getting it exactly lined up as you would with precut.
Chris

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There's a guy here in Los Angeles (Torrance actually) that has the pre-cut template for the Elise. It's based on the 111s and his templates comes from a partner European firm. The amount of coverage they've come-up with for the Elise is pretty amazing. The full front end is covered in a "kit", and the rocker panels are another kit, the rear fenders and wheel openings are another kit, and the roof structure is yet another kit.

It's interesting because he starts with raw stock of 3M film and has the computer do the cutting of the pattern on the spot. I had him do my Mustang Mach 1 and he did an outstanding job. I'll have him do my Elise too (when it comes in...)

Bob

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anyone know where we can get some nice car covers?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is the dealer add on -- "stone-chip protection kit" -- the same 3M pre-cut kit you guys are talking about in this post? If so, any idea what the dealers will charge, and do they have the experience to do it right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts