The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes this is almost certainly the 'stone protection kit'...

As for experience - well it is 'almost' certain thet the dealers will be subcontracting to a local appliction company anyway - like the chap doing the cars in Atlanta and the geezer on the west coast.

So experience on Elisii? Virtually none... That said my dealer is also a dealer for Lambo's and Corvettes so I imagine that this is a fairly common request and hence they have a skilled chap on call. Nonetheless I don't fancy being the first car he does!

It's too ealry to be definitive really... (now where have we heard that before... hmmmmmmm)

I had my S1 done in the UK and it cost about 250ukp... (friggin US keyboard)... but I've no idea what it'll cost here - nobody does - except Arnie maybe - he's the only customer in the country so far!

Being something of a cynic.... I can imagine that the dealers may try and charge a 'fiar bit' over the odds for add on stuff like this - so we all may do well to seek out local companies.

It's certainly not a DIY job unless you already have lots of practice.

:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The place that had the template for the Elise (on the West Coast) was:

Transparent Bra (www.transparentbra.com)
20710 Manhattan Place #116
Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 787-7544
(866) 335-3456

I had excellent service from them. And since they cut their own templates, they can do custom work. I had them use the same 3M material (instead of the much thicker Xpel material that they also sell) on the headlights and foglamps on my Mach1. It's less noticeable, cheaper and still provides good protection in SoCal. (We don't need as much protection on the headlights as other parts of the country since our headlights are mostly "sandblasted" instead of taking a rock strike.)

Bob

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Paul MD said:

So experience on Elisii? Virtually none... That said my dealer is also a dealer for Lambo's and Corvettes so I imagine that this is a fairly common request and hence they have a skilled chap on call. Nonetheless I don't fancy being the first car he does!

:D
I would think that the dealer demo would be the first car he does.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My Supra TT

I had a Supra TT done by a local guy that has vast Ferrari painting experience. He did my custom paint job, then covered it with 3M. I was freaked out when he suggested it, he had to talk me into it. When he was done, gorgeous. Did not detract from the paint job at all. I did aftermarket suspension and needed the protection I thought. Even did the leading side of rearview mirrors. I loved it and plan on him doing my Elise as soon as I can drive it across three states. I think it added like $300-400 to the paint job? He waited 2-3 weeks to put it on and did a second total buff prior to install. He's a perfectionist. I've never seen anyone like this guy, can eyeball paint, mix it and voila' match?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'd be interested in more info on this guy... I'm in virginia beach, and it'd be worth a drive for me to get that installed professionally.

Thanks!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts