The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I believe I'm the 3rd person to attempt this (MaineLotus and Ridgemanron before me). Linked below is my original thread. I had a bit of trouble having the first set fitted but had a second set cut this weekend with a few changes and seems to fit like a glove on the engine cover. For now, they're held on with 3M double sided adhesive (just like OEM) and am going to put body color plugs in my cover to fill the holes left from removal of my OEM louvers.

Original thread: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/glass-engine-cover-back-machine-shop-229609/

Depending on feedback, I'd entertain doing a group buy once I put some mileage on these covers. Currently have the front clam off so it would be next week at the earliest

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I love the concept, but to be blunt.

It looks like an aftermarket piece.

It definitely needs the plugs.
The edges of the covers need to be blended.

an old Boyd rule, run you eye quickly from the beginning to end and anything you eye gets caught on is an issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the concept, but to be blunt.

It looks like an aftermarket piece.

It definitely needs the plugs.
The edges of the covers need to be blended.

an old Boyd rule, run you eye quickly from the beginning to end and anything you eye gets caught on is an issue.
Thanks for the input, totally agree. I'm just grad to have the dimentions fitted properly and a vent design I like. In the next week or so I'll probably pull them off the Round out the edges and pop some body color plugs in the holes

·
Registered
273 Posts
I really like where this is going.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like where this is going.
Thanks! I've been excited about doing it for a while. Just need to improve fit am finish a bit to make it look like an OEM piece

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Looks fantastic! I just feel like it needs something... Like a border. I'm really glad you pulled the trigger man! Great job. Maybe a black anodized aluminum frame?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Looks fantastic! I just feel like it needs something... Like a border. I'm really glad you pulled the trigger man! Great job. Maybe a black anodized aluminum frame?
Aluminum? I'd do the opposite and do a black rubber molding to try to isolate vibrations and not scratch the paint. It would also help to fill the gap.

San

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Aluminum? I'd do the opposite and do a black rubber molding to try to isolate vibrations and not scratch the paint. It would also help to fill the gap.

San
The opposite of framing it with aluminum isn't framing it with rubber. It's probably framing them with flowers. I get your point though.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
The opposite of framing it with aluminum isn't framing it with rubber. It's probably framing them with flowers. I get your point though.
Aluminum is a hard stiff metal which would scratch the lid if contact was made, not provide any significant sound dampening or be a suitable medium to fill the gaps. A soft flexible material such as rubber wouldn't scratch the lid, would provide some decent sound dampening and help to fill the gaps. That would fulfill a layman's definition of opposite IMHO. Flowers?

San

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about it, but decided against it. I'd possibly consider a black rubber U-Channel around the border. As far as it scratching the paint, the cover is insulated against the paint with 3M tape, just like the OEM covers. Also, these sit much lower than the stock louvers do, meaning worst case scenario they scratched something, it would be completely covered up if you reverted to stock

What I like about this is that it's completely reversible, no cutting required. Just some tedious adhesive removal. MaineLotus did a great job with his, but the prospect of cutting up my cover wasn't something I wanted to do. Not so much because it's something I couldn't tackle, but any mods I do to the car are a bit taste-subjective, I make sure can be easily un-done when I decide to sell my car

·
Registered
482 Posts
Definitely screams "aftermarket". Not my style.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I'd possibly consider a black rubber U-Channel around the border.
That's exactly what I'd do. McMaster Carr has a good selection. Or you could go with flowers.

San

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely screams "aftermarket". Not my style.
Figured it wouldn't be for everyone. It's going to be polished up quite a bit so hopefully I can change a few peoples minds when I'm all done

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship and detail. I just don't think small Toyota sourced 4cyl engine is what should be highlighted in the same vein as an Aventador or a twin turbo LS9.

That being said - your last name is '*******'? Man, that has to be tough.... :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the craftsmanship and detail. I just don't think small Toyota sourced 4cyl engine is what should be highlighted in the same vein as an Aventador or a twin turbo LS9.

That being said - your last name is '*******'? Man, that has to be tough.... :)
Ha, I have to deal with it I guess. That's why I went with tinted acrylic as opposed to clear. Mine's N/A as well, so not much to show under the hood, but the OEM louvers were fading and reminded me of window blinds

·
Registered
293 Posts
It look nice but what's wrong with the original cover?... in my opinion, the original looks way better...

Different point of view I guess... its your car after all...

sent from cell phone

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It look nice but what's wrong with the original cover?... in my opinion, the original looks way better...

Different point of view I guess... its your car after all...

sent from cell phone
Nothing wrong with it; just a little project I wanted to take one. I might do a clear (no tint) acrylic with mesh underneath too

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think the lighting didn't do it justice. I'm glad you are experimenting, instead of just copying a part in carbon fiber or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts