·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I'll take a set. That looks rack ass!

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
Good idea. I think Elise owners may appreciate a high quality option too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
To be honest, I'd either have to see more pictures or just risk buying it and see how I like it on my Exige. I guess part of that will depend on what it would cost me :)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Industrial 3D Scanner, CAD CAM software, 3D Printer, CNC molds and Vac form Polycarbonate will do the job.

Oh, need about Laser or Water Jet cutter to finish the work.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
This looks like a collaboration needs to happen!

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Ty, if you need to use my car to mock up the parts feel free. Just swing by, you can grab the hatch piston when you come as well. Let me know just shoot me a text.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Industrial 3D Scanner, CAD CAM software, 3D Printer, CNC molds and Vac form Polycarbonate will do the job.

Oh, need about Laser or Water Jet cutter to finish the work.
You're obviously the expert, but what I was thinking of doing was:

1- taking measurements off the mesh
2- drafting it in solidworks, print out paper inserts and test fit. Re-size/ re-print until I have pieces that fit perfectly
3- have a piece of polycarb or acrylic lasercut (the machine shop I used told me that waterjetting can cause chipping on edges, etc and won't come out great). Will have it cut in a thin enough material that will allow for rigidity and flexibilty to make the slight curvature without having to vac-mold it

Let me know your thoughts, I don't have a background in this so there may be something I'm glossing over

Here is (as far as I know) the only other person to attempt this besides MaineLotus. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/ridgemans-clear-covers-finally-24004/

He had his vacformed and looked like it cost an arm and a leg ($1000).. Wouldn't cutting a flat piece and curving it save unnecessary complexity?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the influx of renderings. I'm getting a bit better at these and finally did one with my car. For the Elise, there is no curvature in the lip where the current louvers sit, so should be OK with a flat piece of acrylic/ polycarb

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry for the influx of renderings. I'm getting a bit better at these and finally did one with my car. For the Elise, there is no curvature in the lip where the current louvers sit, so should be OK with a flat piece of acrylic/ polycarb

I like this version. Might be something I have to try.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Assuming the price is semi-reasonable I'd be interested

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Measuring or scanning the mesh is my approach too.
You're obviously the expert, but what I was thinking of doing was:

1- taking measurements off the mesh
2- drafting it in solidworks, print out paper inserts and test fit. Re-size/ re-print until I have pieces that fit perfectly
3- have a piece of polycarb or acrylic lasercut (the machine shop I used told me that waterjetting can cause chipping on edges, etc and won't come out great). Will have it cut in a thin enough material that will allow for rigidity and flexibilty to make the slight curvature without having to vac-mold it

Let me know your thoughts, I don't have a background in this so there may be something I'm glossing over

Here is (as far as I know) the only other person to attempt this besides MaineLotus. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/ridgemans-clear-covers-finally-24004/

He had his vacformed and looked like it cost an arm and a leg ($1000).. Wouldn't cutting a flat piece and curving it save unnecessary complexity?
Measuring or scanning the mesh is my approach too.

Laser cutter is the best.

But the correct louver angle and shape is the worst part.

Then 3D printed for test fit.

But hey, can't find good Polycarbonate guys here, otherwise the clear roof and clear hatch were history long time ago.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I really like the look on the Exige, reminds me of the S1 Exige which I think looks better in a few places like the hatch!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts