The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a clear hose that runs from what appears to be the left fuel filler, 1/2 way along the back of the firewall under the window, through a check valve and then into somewhere under the plenum. Time has taken it's toll and it has rotted apart on my V8. What does this hose do? And can I drive the car like this? Looks like I need to pull the plenum to replace it.

Thanks!

·
S4s
699 Posts
@shinrai
I believe it is likely a breather hose. Replace all of those clear hoses with fuel rated rubber ones. The risk to the car is like having a gas can in the trunk with no lid. Sure, you can get to point A to point B without it catching on fire, but there's always Murphy's Law waiting for its opportunity to prove itself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Most likely it's connected to the EVAP system and meant to catch fuel vapors that are produced from pressure changes in the fuel tanks. Like Seraph noted, not likely a big risk but also not no risk either as it will vent fuel vapors to the engine compartment. I'd replace the hose.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What year is the car? Are you getting a CEL?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Could someone include a photo of where this breather hose is located please? I'm thinking mine may be in need of replacement. I'd at least like to check.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found this pic online and stuck a green arrow on it. On my 1997 it is clear (yellowish) with age and it easily breaks apart. No CELs. Any tricks or notes to pulling the plenum off? I imagine some gaskets will have to be replaced?

I installed new blue belts/rollers/wp/brakes. All went well. Sonic tensioner showed 110 Hz and was double checked with the iphone app which was similar. Fun car to work on. Here she is....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Beautiful car! I believe that hose is the evap system charcoal canister purge line with the non-return valve (NRV) inline. It runs from the canister located behind a cover in the LR wheel arch to the plenum, via the EGR manifold.

The later V8s have a seperate purge solenoid mounted on the firewall, earlier cars like your 97 have the purge solenoid integrated to the canister.

That hose doesn't connect to the fuel filler neck, although there is a different hose that runs from the filler neck to the canister via a rollover valve.

Surprising there is no CEL since the system runs self-tests to check integrity. I doubt the factory ever used clear hose for that application, all I've ever seen is black like the photo, so it may be someone installed the wrong type of hose at some point.

Anyway yes, I think it's good advice to replace it at earliest convenience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts