The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Evora 400 had sat on the dealers lot for a few months before I acquired it and as a result developed a lot of water stains on the OE Lotus clear wrap. I normally do my final rinse through a filtration system to avoid this but now that it's here I'm stumped. So far I tried the alcohol, vinegar and a meguires pre-wash light polish but no luck. May go clay bar next but thought I'd ask the pros here first. Any recommendations on products specific to this? Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both products recommended for hard surfaces; am reluctant to use on soft vinyl. Will research. On Amazon, Meguiars says to not use on wraps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It may be best to look at it respectfully and say "thank you for your service" and leave it be. It did its job.
You be the only one that notices and may mess it up more by trying to reach perfection.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A random orbital buffer and a light polish (Menzerna SF3500 or similar) should clean it up no problem. Just tape the edges of the film so they don't get polish buildup along them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may be best to look at it respectfully and say "thank you for your service" and leave it be. It did its job.
You be the only one that notices and may mess it up more by trying to reach perfection.
Perhaps if it finished 4 years of active duty but the car has only been on the road for a month.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Maguiers also makes a plastic cleaner product and plastic polish that's meant for use on soft plastics like convertible windows. I've used it for years. You can start off with that and see if it works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Maguiers also makes a plastic cleaner product and plastic polish that's meant for use on soft plastics like convertible windows. I've used it for years. You can start off with that and see if it works.
And very inexpensive on amazon; just ordered, thanks. I would add that the majority of stains are located on what I would call the front quarter panels above the headlights. Perhaps it's an artifact of the crazy light wash system. I disabled that function when I took ownership but for the previous 1000 miles it was still in play.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
And very inexpensive on amazon; just ordered, thanks. I would add that the majority of stains are located on what I would call the front quarter panels above the headlights. Perhaps it's an artifact of the crazy light wash system. I disabled that function when I took ownership but for the previous 1000 miles it was still in play.
I wouldn't expect the washer fluid in those to have dissolved minerals.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
Results?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you asked, I just gave it a try. Doesn't seem to be having much effect on the water stains I'm afraid. Similar to the Meguiar's ultimate polish in effectiveness. Guess it's just going to take hours of rubbing

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was able to remove a similar stain off with clay bar and then some polish. Try a small spot first and make sure the clay is clean..

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
I tore that crap off my snout 3 yrs ago.. No loss. Sides came off last year as they were also shot. Putting black GT ones on this spring as its the one area it actually helps. Just polish it like anything else. Even though you've only had it a month, it is 4 yrs old, left baking in the sun, the further south, the hotter.....Live with it a year, peel it and enjoy your paint. My car looked years younger once removed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tore that crap off my snout 3 yrs ago.. No loss. Sides came off last year as they were also shot. Putting black GT ones on this spring as its the one area it actually helps. Just polish it like anything else. Even though you've only had it a month, it is 4 yrs old, left baking in the sun, the further south, the hotter.....Live with it a year, peel it and enjoy your paint. My car looked years younger once removed.
It is exactly one year old but did spend a few of those months at the Audi dealership with time outside. I'll keep polishing it with every wash taking a little bit at a time. Should I find a miracle cure I'll definitely post it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts