The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much ground clearance the Elise will have? Just want to make sure I can pull into/out of my driveway with no problems.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You'll need to wait till January when the specifications are announced. no-one knows this information yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Standard ride height is 130mm. I'm not sure how this is measured, so it may not equate directly to ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nathan968 said:
Standard ride height is 130mm. I'm not sure how this is measured, so it may not equate directly to ground clearance.
Wow, thats over 5" !
With a very short wheelbase and low overhang it could be lowered significantly.
My lowered 928 had about 2.5" clearance and could still get around most places [carefully] :eek:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Sports Suspension ground clearance is 120mm (4.72")

That is not a lot.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Sports Suspension ground clearance is 120mm (4.72")
Some of speed bumps in parking lots are that tall! Ouch.

Luckily my Elise will not see much around town action.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have to put 2x4's down in my curb to get in and out of my driveway with the Exige, but it's a high curb.

My trailor's ramp is at too steep of an angle to drive up so I have to use some 2x10's to drive up on and then onto the ramp.

The car is low. The car can't be lowered too much and keep the suspension geometry and the wheel liners intact.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know the clearance numbers of a typical 20K sports car? Trying to get some kind of idea how the Elise would compare to other cars.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
After I lowered my celica, I had about 3-4inches ground clearance under the front spoiler, and although the bottom of the car had much more clearance than that, I still cant drive over certain speed bumps without doing some damage.

The trick is...drive into every driveway sideways and slowly. My suspension is so stiff that the right rear wheel would be several inches off the ground...its pretty cool :D Although there are still some driveways I cant pull into at all.

So the stock elise should be fine...just drive slow into driveways and over speed bumps.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
nxm150 said:
Does anyone know the clearance numbers of a typical 20K sports car?
I don't know what a typical 20k car is, but I would bet that the vast majority of stock $20k have zero clearance problems.

The issue may be if the front over-hang is long enough to justify going over dips a bit sidways or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts