The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw one of those 'click-it-or-ticket' adverts on. Who here DOESN'T wear a seat belt? I'm a child of the 90s, born in 88, raised to wear a seatbelt 100% of the time. I know a lot of you haven't! Tell me about it! :)

Did your parents wear seatbelts when you were driving with them in the car? Do you remember back that far?! Was there any emphasis put on wearing a seat belt when you were young!

BRANDY!!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was almost 19 when it became law to wear one if your car had them. I have a 64 ford that did not come with seatbelts so I didn't start wearing a seat belt untill I was about 22 or so.When I started racing stock cars I was in my first crash and I found out how much it hurt with seat belts on I can't imagine what it would be like with out one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It just feels wrong NOT to have a seatbelt on. In other cars (not the Elise), it feels like you might roll right out of the seat if you corner too hard.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just feels wrong NOT to have a seatbelt on. In other cars (not the Elise), it feels like you might roll right out of the seat if you corner too hard.
Agreed! But even in the lotus it is still important to buckle up, even if it doesn't feel like you need to. Your more prone to injury in a lotus than any other car :S.

Unless you want to end up like the poor walrus that ate the slop, wear your seat belt.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I work in an ER. It is a standard question to ask people involved in MVAs if they were wearing their seatbelt. I would say 1 out of 10 admit to not wearing it, and I presume just as many lie about not wearing it.

Stupid people do indeed exist.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I remember that our 1962 Ford Fairlane did not have seat belts from the factory, so my Dad bought some lap belts from Montgomery Wards and had them installed. At first he just did the front seat, as the car had a metal (!) dash, but he later installed them in back seat. He was a college professor and a bit more into researching things than the average Joe, so perhaps this explains it. I remember being taught to wear them at an early age and have ever since. I do remember riding in the back seat of our Fairlane before seat belts on a trip from Carbondale, IL to Atlanta, GA to visit my grandparents. Dad made a platform out of plywood for the back seat that went to the front seat back so that my brother and I would have room to spread out blankets and sleep. I also remember lying down in the package tray above the rear seat back so I could look at the stars at night.

It really was a different time, but then again people generally didn't drive as fast back then. Even so, we're lucky that Dad was a careful driver and we weren't in an accident, as we would have been toast! I remember begging my Dad to trade in his Fairlane on a new Mustang when they came out in late 1964, as even at the tender age of six I recognized a sporty Falcon when I saw one. His reason for not getting one? "It's got bucket seats!" What would the neighbors think?

Here's a pic of me, Dad, and my older brother Will in front of our death trap:

1962 Ford Fairlane 500.jpg

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
I never wear my seatbelt......on my motorcycle.

Always wear it in the car though. Doesn't feel right without it.

I do believe the laws are more centered on their revenue than your safety though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I first started wearing a seatbelt in my '71 Firebird because my butt would slide around on the seat.

I had a friend who rolled his truck and got ejected and killed when the truck landed on him. If he had his belt on, he'd be with us today.

Click it and survive. Screw the ticket. My passengers are given the option: buckle up or get out and walk.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I'd never consider not wearing a belt, unless off road in a field going <10mph. However, I strongly believe that it is outside of a government's rights to legally mandate any such thing. Same with motorcycle helmets and a thousand other things.
It is unAmerican to force my belief onto others. :no:
The fact that it is comprehensively done today is a shameful failing of government.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In western IL, they are really cracking down right now on seat belt stuff. That's okay - I ALWAYS wear mine anyway. :no: I agree - it doesn't feel right (or smart) without it.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've seen enough accident scenes to convince me that it is far better to wear seatbelts than not.

I grew up riding without seatbelts playing in the back of the family station wagon.

To roll up on an accident scene and see someone's head gone through the windshield is convincing. I've seen some really serious (high speed) face through the windshield accidents and some lower speed ones where the driver's/passenger's head only "spiderwebbed" the windshield and you get to see the hair and skin embedded in the glass.

Then there was this stolen car being driven by a "kid" who was wearing his belt and his front passenger was not. While running from the police the kid drives straight into a brick wall. The driver gets out and runs. The passenger put both feet onto the dashboard to embrace for the impact. He had two broken legs and didn't (obviously) run from the scene. Well, I should say he did get out of the car and then collapsed onto the pavement in an attempt to escape. It was not a pretty sight and his screams of pain were a good reminder to wear seatbelts.

There are plenty of laws on the books that we could do without, but the seatbelt law is very much centered on saving our asses. And while you might feel it's your decision to risk injury in an accident and that you don't give a rat's ass if someone else gets hurt not wearing their seatbelt, let's not forget that many people don't have car and medical insurance. They end up costing everyone in the end with higher premiums since someone has to pay the bills.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I always wear my seatbelt. I feel almost naked without it. That's certainly not a product my childhood. I was raised in the 70s. Growing up, my dad had his share of sports cars, mostly two-seaters: Saab Sonnett, 280ZX Turbo, 300ZX Turbo. As kids, guess where we sat? That's right, in the hatch! Picture this: two adults and three kids making a 700-mile trek to Helen, GA with baggage in the 280ZX Turbo. :eek: But that's exactly what we did.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
In Illinois you have to wear a seat belt in the car, but you can ride your motorcycle with out a helmet...........that makes A LOT of sense!:crazyeyes
Same with Florida. I've never heard of a minor head injury. After they repealed the helmet law, the cost of Uninsured Motorist and Medical Payments on motorcycle policies skyrocketed.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I see zero reason for the government to force people to use their seat belt
I also see zero legal reason that the government can force you to wear it.
But when it comes to generating revenue (taxes) the law never seems to stop a politician.

There are a few people on waiting lists and in hospitals that would like for someone to not wear their seat belt.

Kevin

·
Registered
81 Posts
I do believe the laws are more centered on their revenue than your safety though.
If it was centered on generating revenue, then why would they even have the "Click it or Ticket" advertising campaign? They would just quietly start handing out tickets without warning. That would generate more revenue and they could avoid the costs of advertising as well.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Then there was this stolen car being driven by a "kid" who was wearing his belt and his front passenger was not. While running from the police the kid drives straight into a brick wall. The driver gets out and runs. The passenger put both feet onto the dashboard to embrace for the impact. He had two broken legs and didn't (obviously) run from the scene. Well, I should say he did get out of the car and then collapsed onto the pavement in an attempt to escape. It was not a pretty sight and his screams of pain were a good reminder to wear seatbelts.
That reminds me of another disturbing trend I have seen, passengers riding around in modern vehicles with their feet resting on the dash or out the passenger side window. I'd hate to even think of what is going to happen to them when the airbag under their feet goes off in a front end collision.

Noble

·
Registered
744 Posts
I always have my belt on, but the standard belt doesn't hold us in the seats enough. It just feels uncomfortable w/o the belts on. But I don't think we should force everyone to wear a belt though. Now, if we were like Canada, then yes, they should force them to wear a belt because everyone else is paying for the medical care.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts