The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing major but don't remember this occurring in the past. can't tell if its the steering rack or a sticky strut. Occurs over minor roads imperfections bumps, wheel turn no affect. I've checked torque on all readily accessible suspension components, ie struts upper and lower armsetc. Not particularly worried, but if anyone has experienced this also and solved the issue, I'd appreciate the heads up.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
This is the way my steering felt before I confirmed the rack was worn. I was finally able to confirm it was the rack after standing outside the driver's door with the ball of my left foot on the shoulder of the front tire to brace the wheel. I then reached inside and rocked the steering wheel from side to side with one finger, feeling with my toes for when the wheel was starting to turn. I was getting about 1/2" of play in the steering wheel and hearing a quiet clunk at the base of the steering shaft where it hooks onto the rack pinion. Before this I felt the clicking sensation you describe when driving at slow speed on gravel and uneven surfaces.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am starting to get the same little clicking (by feel only, not sound) as I drive over imperfections in the road. It looks like there is a new steering rack in my future.
Feb. 2005 build date

·
Registered
451 Posts
yeah, my rack started doing that after my last track day. I think I can hold off on a new one until winter time. Since I'm way out of warranty, I guess the Sector 111 rack is the way to go?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, I took mine to the dealer with this complaint and they tightened some sort of rubber bushing and it went away, FWIW. Check all the bolts maybe?

gm

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Well, I took mine to the dealer with this complaint and they tightened some sort of rubber bushing and it went away, FWIW. Check all the bolts maybe?

gm
Yeah, there's a bushing that can cause this. Sometimes the bushing can "dry out" and need lubrication. Silicone lubricant can help with this.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Or better yet, the name and part number of the bushing. That makes it easy to locate in the Elise parts manual, which has the drawing of it in the car.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Or better yet, the name and part number of the bushing. That makes it easy to locate in the Elise parts manual, which has the drawing of it in the car.
I believe it's the anti-roll bushing. Someone did upload a schematic of exactly where it is. I can't find the post though, because I can never find anything when I search on here. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone with a diagram of the bushing location, procedure for the job etc, that would be great. sounds like an end of the year project. Steering has no play, etc I thought it was something like a bushing, mounting point of rack needed retorquing etc.
My bad about the strut!! Doh!!:bow:

·
Registered
803 Posts
check wheel weights

I had a similar symptom a long time ago. Sometimes the wheel weights are mounted a bit high and conflict with the caliper. The ticking is felt as the weight goes around and interferes with the caliper.

You may also only notice it while cornering as the wheel may flex just enough to bring the weight to the brake caliper.

You can see the weights and see scratch marks on them in order to confirm.

The ticking will vary with speed and may be audible.

Michael

·
Supporting Vendor
4,361 Posts
If it turns out to be your rack (yes, they are failing), our titanQR is a pretty sweet upgrade. The construction is much stronger and the slightly quicker action will put a smile on your face. We get them from the OE rack supplier of the Series 1 Elise...

·
Premium Member
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will check the weights and Shinoo, always good to know you have the replacement parts ie upgrades!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
So this is weird. My clicking has disappeared and I've never had any play in the steering... I wonder if its temperature/heat related to the rubber bushing?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
So this is weird. My clicking has disappeared and I've never had any play in the steering... I wonder if its temperature/heat related to the rubber bushing?
It wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

The anti-roll bar bushing is at 38. If you're having problems with it you'd be wise to replace it with polyurethane or nylatron.

from Blackwatch Racing, or

from Eliseparts.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Not to be overly simple, but it is very easy to start by checking the torque on the front wheels. If under torqued they can easily create an audible and palpable clunk especially at low speeds. If left loose, they will eventually create an audible and palpable clunk at higher speeds. There is not always a noticeable shimmy or vibration with this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts