The Lotus Cars Community banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Interesting—as always, what do I know? Nothing. But the clicking noise on my 14 S began with well under 10k on the clock. Probably more like 5k.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a 400 with 10,400 miles and started noticing the snapping twigs some time ago. I have the forged wheels and check the torque on the bolts regularly, keeping approx at spec (though they don’t loosen). I brought to my dealer who serviced as follows: “Installed A138G6012F: Wheel bolt with collar - 57M Qty:20. Installed updated wheel bolts per aftersales” and they covered under warranty. I am wondering if this is not common on 400s as most have not seen a ton of miles yet but from conversation with my dealer this is well known to them and they knew just what to do. No noise post replacement but it has only been a few days too.
Interesting. I hadn't heard about Lotus replacing them. Suggests a known problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 400 has 8,000 miles currently. They have replaced the bolts twice now for this issue under warranty. After each replacement the noise did stay away for about a week then slowly started coming back. Just had the lubricant applied to the hub surface per Lotus recs two days ago. So far so good....let's see how it goes over the next couple of weeks

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tried the copper grease on the bolts. No luck for me. I must admit the stock wheels never did it (to my knowledge anyway), only the aftermarket. Oh well, I’ll pull em off and clean the hub / wheel faces next.

As long as the wheels aren’t going to fall of it’s no big deal really.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far 2 weeks and the noise has stayed gone completely this time. Maybe it did the trick. For reference the lubricant that Lotus recommended and applied to the hub surface was Duralac jointing compound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the clicking noise with factory lugs so I bought the black lugs from Sherman’s for my 2017 E400. I used a torque wrench to tighten them exactly to spec. The clicking stopped for a bit, but came back so while the car was at the dealer for other warranty issues they replaced them with new factory lugs which stopped the clicking. I loved the look of the black lugs on the black wheels and greatly appreciated the customer service I got from Sherman!!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Quick update on my dealer replacement using the A138G6012F bolts - I am just at 11K miles now (600 miles and 3 weeks past replacement) and no noise at all. A note I didn't mention in my earlier post is that I did check the torque on the bolts and the dealer torqued to right around the 77ft-lbs (spec).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick update on my dealer replacement using the A138G6012F bolts - I am just at 11K miles now (600 miles and 3 weeks past replacement) and no noise at all. A note I didn't mention in my earlier post is that I did check the torque on the bolts and the dealer torqued to right around the 77ft-lbs (spec).
Any news please ?
This New bolt really fix thé clicking sound?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine still has this also. Has anyone had anything serious happen related to this noise (wheels falling off, bolt failures etc)? If not I might just live with the clicking!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Given the crap weather lately in the philly area, I have not been driving my 400 too much. I am likely to have her out at least once more before putting her to sleep for the winter so will try to remember to listen and provide another update but as of last time I was in my work garage, no noise (this was after my last post). Obviously not a long term review for the new bolts but it seems like using these and torqueing to spec may be a solution...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got my volts, buy on Elise parts,
I have bought A138G6012F, but they're not...
The longer of thread IS 26mm not 31 like A138G6012F.

Waiting for her answer

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Really sorry Makaimura. My Evora is now sleeping in my garage until the first day that temps are decent, roads have been washed from salt by rain and I don't see the likelihood of a slew of snowstorms extending winter for several more weeks but I did check for noise right before winterizing and had no clicking at all. This have about 1k miles with the new bolts at this point with good results. Just to normalize, did you torque to spec?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have a 2018 400 with 3300 miles and starting to hear a clicking sound emanating from the right side of car. Really hear it while driving along curbs or barriers as the sound bounces. Will call dealer tomorrow and advise

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had the same issue with my 2017 400 but it is intermittent and has not got to the point where I feel as though it has to be fixed yet. There appear to be multiple part numbers for these wheel bolts.

Does anyone know what the differences area? Would converting to wheel studs be worth considering?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I spoke to the dealership today and they were not aware of any recurring issues. They were very nice and suggested checking anything stuck in a tire and I stated that I would check the lug torques before taking the offer from them of making an appnt. Mine is a 2018 Evora 400. 3500 miles. Just starting the intermittent snapping / clicking about 400 miles ago.

I checked torque on lugs at 77 lb/ft and they all clicked without extra turning except for 1 lug bolt on the RR (noise is coming from right .) I got about an 1/8 - 1/4 turn on this lug before wrench clicked out. Drove about 20 miles with no clicking. May just have to check torques on these every few weeks/ 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Think I have fixed this... at least for now. Took all the wheels off, cleaned off any corrosion/scale on the hub and wheel with a wire brush and steel wool, applied a thin coat of anti-seize to the hub centers (desperately needed.. a couple wheels were resistant to coming off), then did a very tedious and thorough cleaning of the lug bolts themselves. Scraped the threads with a wire brush and got in behind the cone washer as much as I could, cleaned the rest of the bolt surfaces with steel wool, then took the wire brush and cleaned out the bolt holes in the hubs. Lastly, I put just the thinnest coating of high-temp brake grease under the cone washer so it would rotate smoothly when torquing the bolts down. Left the outside surface of the cone washer and the bolt threads completely clean and dry as I normally would. Torqued the wheels to 105 Nm. No more click during hard left turns. We'll see how long it lasts I guess.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts