The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 187 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing, but from Right Front.........I'm attributing it to a warped rotor making the brake pad click.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm going to remove the wheels this weekend and have a peek.. Not too fond of the idea of removing the diffuser though. .Was a PITA to get it on on the first place.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Oh, im double sorry. I didnt realize you have a evora, I have an exige. And after hearing your click, I can say for sure it is not at all like the click I was experiencing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is the Parking brake :DThe problem sounds like the shoes in the rotor/hub. Pull the E-brake up (Hold it while moving foward see if you still have the sound or dose it go away?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just tried it this morning. Holding up the parking brake does not eliminate the clicking.. I gradually pulled on the parking brake as the car turned around a bend in the parking garage (as you saw in the above video), when the clicking is most prominent. Anyway there was no change, other than slowing down the car a bit (I didn't pull it all the way as that would have just stopped the car).

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Squid evidently has the "CARBOMB Special". Maybe he should stick to a nice safe Camry. At least he'll have the exotic Lotus engine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just tried it this morning. Holding up the parking brake does not eliminate the clicking.. I gradually pulled on the parking brake as the car turned around a bend in the parking garage (as you saw in the above video), when the clicking is most prominent. Anyway there was no change, other than slowing down the car a bit (I didn't pull it all the way as that would have just stopped the car).
Now my mind is :crazyeyes Let us know

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Now my mind is :crazyeyes Let us know
Okay, you'd never guess this, but after I changed the tires, the clicking is gone.

:shrug:

I really am at a lost. Both tires were worn, but that wouldn't cause any sound. The only thing difference I can identify is that I used a Dynaplug to plug both tires from punctures incurred in my neighborhood. The metal arrow heads have been known to come off during installation of the plug. Is it possible for one of those metal heads to somehow get lodged somewhere between the tire and the rim that caused it to click against it? It's a far-fetched idea. I mean, the clicking was very loud so I can't imagine this little thing being the culprit.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How about broken steel cords in the tire?

Glen
Interesting... But I think if that was the case this symptom would be commonplace. But I've never heard such a sound from worn tires. Plus the sound started way before the tires needed replacing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello squidward,

seems you had the problem I actually have.

Unfortunately your videos aren't online anymore that is why I am asking you,
if you could click the following link and take a look at my last video
at LOTUS EVORA PROBLEMS.

Do you alread know what it was, did the noise come back after replacing the tyres ?

Many thanks for your help in advance ...

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello squidward,

seems you had the problem I actually have.

Unfortunately your videos aren't online anymore that is why I am asking you,
if you could click the following link and take a look at my last video
at LOTUS EVORA PROBLEMS.

Do you alread know what it was, did the noise come back after replacing the tyres ?

Many thanks for your help in advance ...
wolf007,

Yeah I took the videos down as a matter of routine.

I saw your video and it indeed appears to be the problem I reported on this thread. I had the dealership did not do much to diagnose the problem. First they blamed it on the tires kicking up dirt and causing the sound. Despite the fact that I demonstrated it to them at a very slow rotation, similar to your video.

Anyway I have no hope in my dealership in actually spending more than a minute diagnosing something before giving up and just coming up with a reason out of thin air. All they did was they took the wheel off, cleaned the dust off and put the wheel back on. This did little to fix the problem. it helped a little bit, but it was still evident. Ultimately when I replaced the rear tires, the fixed the problem. Or so I thought!

I have since driven about 6 or 7 thousand miles and noticed two weeks ago the sound had come back as I rounded a right hand turn at about 5mph in my parking garage. same exact problem.. sharp clicks at regular intervals, every few feet. I expect it to get louder, as it did last time.

It's a shame it wasn't the first set of tires that caused the problem, as I had suggested a few months back on this thread. I suspect the source of the sound is somewhere in the wheel hub, and that removing and reinstalling the wheel may help. Give that a shot. I can't explain why it would help, but that's the only thing I can think of that happened to help in my case, as in both cases where my wheels were removed and reinstalled, by the dealership and the tire shop.

Anyway, good luck.. Let me know what happens. Also, if you need my video as evidence that this is a common problem (at least for two cars now), let me know and I'll put it back up.

squid

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many thanks for your help, squid.

The car will go to my Lotus dealership this week - I hope they are able to help.

What I experienced so far:
- In cold conditions the noise is not present, it takes around 3 kilometers until you hear it.
- When driving backward it is not present, only when driving forward.

Only to eleminate some causes I wanted to ask you:
I have seen in your "garage" that your car is a non-IPS, is that right ?

At the moment I think the problem is brake related and is perhaps coming
from the pads which move forward and backwards slightly in the caliper body.
Also I found similar problems from other vehicle manufacturers in other forums ...

Perhaps it is the right trace ... I will keep you informed

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Many thanks for your help, squid.

The car will go to my Lotus dealership this week - I hope they are able to help.

What I experienced so far:
- In cold conditions the noise is not present, it takes around 3 kilometers until you hear it.
- When driving backward it is not present, only when driving forward.

Only to eleminate some causes I wanted to ask you:
I have seen in your "garage" that your car is a non-IPS, is that right ?

At the moment I think the problem is brake related and is perhaps coming
from the pads which move forward and backwards slightly in the caliper body.
Also I found similar problems from other vehicle manufacturers in other forums ...

Perhaps it is the right trace ... I will keep you informed
ok, well I hope all works out for you.

BTW, yes my car is the 2010 N/A non IPS model.. I have sort of stopped fussing about little niggles of my Lotus. None of my problems I had weakened my determination to enjoy the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yesterday evening my mates and me have been searching for the noise.
We have opened the rear drum brake (parking brake) and grinded the edges
of the brake pads.
Currently I do not have a clicking noise anymore. :nanner:
So I cancelled the intended service at my dealership - in the coming days
it will become clear whether we have found the source of the noise.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yesterday evening my mates and me have been searching for the noise.
We have opened the rear drum brake (parking brake) and grinded the edges
of the brake pads.
Currently I do not have a clicking noise anymore. :nanner:
So I cancelled the intended service at my dealership - in the coming days
it will become clear whether we have found the source of the noise.
wow.. what prompted you to grind the brake pads? You must have observed some worn marks to determine that may be the cause, no?

·
Registered
28 Posts
wow.. what prompted you to grind the brake pads? You must have observed some worn marks to determine that may be the cause, no?
It can be said, that the noise is not coming from the gearbox, it is something
completely outside, very near to the brake discs.
Some of my mates experienced clicking noises with drum brakes in the past,
and as we couldn't find any problems with the AP racing brakes we opened
the drum brakes then.

In the picture below you see the yellow line (both brake pads looked like that),
the contour the brake pads had before we grinded it down to the red line,
then we cleaned the brake pads outside and also the brake discs inside.
But we did not discover any scratches or unusual wearout.

After we put everything together again I had a really hard testdrive with the car -
for the moment it helps ... I hope it will stay like that.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
It can be said, that the noise is not coming from the gearbox, it is something
completely outside, very near to the brake discs.
Some of my mates experienced clicking noises with drum brakes in the past,
and as we couldn't find any problems with the AP racing brakes we opened
the drum brakes then.

In the picture below you see the yellow line (both brake pads looked like that),
the contour the brake pads had before we grinded it down to the red line,
then we cleaned the brake pads outside and also the brake discs inside.
But we did not discover any scratches or unusual wearout.

After we put everything together again I had a really hard testdrive with the car -
for the moment it helps ... I hope it will stay like that.

Well I'm certainly interested to seeing the long term outcome of this fix. When my wheels clicked it didn't seem like it needed a full rotation either..
http://youtu.be/WWi_A-1Yhr4
http://youtu.be/V3KajgQShvo

For me, it seemed to me as if the mere act of removing the wheel and putting it back on would correct the problem, at least temporarily. Don't know why that was but that's what happened.

Anyway I'm hopeful you have found the culprit of this rather embarrassing problem. (rolling through a parking lot or valet and having everyone wonder what the heck that sound is).

If only they understood what my license plate meant!

·
Registered
28 Posts
When my wheels clicked it didn't seem like it needed a full rotation either..
Mine also didn't need a full rotation and if moved forward and backward rotfl the noise always stayed at the same position.

Cool video :popcorn:

Vid doesn't work :crazyeyes

If only they understood what my license plate meant!
:tadts:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I fixed the second video, it was still set to private. it's just an observation from the inside of the car while driving. particularly loud in parking garages where the clicks get bounced off the walls and are more evident..

21 - 40 of 187 Posts