The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, what a systematic approach and huge amounts of patience! Nice job. 👏
It sure seems that the greased lugs played a part in eliminating the squeak. There are people more qualified to write on this so I'll just bring up one related topic: There seems to be a general engineering agreement that a lubricated bolt/nut will yield more clamping force with the same torque setting than an unlubricated bolt/nut at the same torque setting. So perhaps the squeak disappeared because the wheels were on reeeeeal tight?

In other words, even at identical torque wrench settings, a lubed bolt will hold the wheel tighter than a dry bolt, but this over-torquing might also stretch the bolt.

One of the reasons many people don't over-torque their wheels is that they do not want to put so much strain on the bolt that it deforms. Imagine a rod made of playdough--as you stretch it, the center portion will get skinnier. A metal bolt acts the same (but obviously it takes much more to stretch it). And when the center threads get thinner (even if just a bit), it will then be easier for the bolt or outer threads to work themself loose.

A ton of info can be found on Google, here's three to start:

And here are some pictures to illustrate (not all are wheel bolts):

And just to counterpoint myself, I've read that lot of people do lube their bolts without problems.

I'm not drawing any conclusions, just adding to the discussion. And I certainly appreciate @chauncythecat's impressive data logging.
Hey Sherman. It appears that the OEM black wheel bolts that you sell don't have the loose cone washer like the stock bolts. Has anyone with the clicking noise tried these bolts and had that solve their problem? What about greasing only the cone washer (between the washer and the bolt itself) and not the threads?

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
203 Posts
Hey Sherman. It appears that the OEM black wheel bolts that you sell don't have the loose cone washer like the stock bolts. Has anyone with the clicking noise tried these bolts and had that solve their problem?

Roarf: I don't know if anyone has used our "washer-less" lugs to get rid of the breaking-twigs but I'm happy to send out a free set for someone to try. Here's what I ask:
  • Person should have already posted in this thread saying they have this problem (roarf, I didn't catch that you had this problem but if you do, let me know and I'll send you one too);
  • Person should be in the US (to keep my shipping costs down).;
  • Person will not use grease (so we can see if this solution works by itself);
  • Person will report back to this thread.
So if you want to experiment, be the first to respond here and include your prior post# within this thread. Message me your email address, shipping name & address, and I'll send a set over.

(BTW, due to the electric company shutting down power in our part of California, we're unable to ship for a few days.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Roarf: I don't know if anyone has used our "washer-less" lugs to get rid of the breaking-twigs but I'm happy to send out a free set for someone to try. Here's what I ask:
  • Person should have already posted in this thread saying they have this problem (roarf, I didn't catch that you had this problem but if you do, let me know and I'll send you one too);
So if you want to experiment, be the first to respond here and include your prior post# within this thread. Message me your email address, shipping name & address, and I'll send a set over.

(BTW, due to the electric company shutting down power in our part of California, we're unable to ship for a few days.)
You have an online shop? Can you ship in France ?
I'm interesting to buy one set ans test.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
203 Posts
Hey Sherman... What about greasing only the cone washer (between the washer and the bolt itself) and not the threads?
I'm no expert with greased nuts 🤣 but I wouldn't do it. The applied torque rating factors in friction so lube on a bolt/nut is going to alter the effective torque which in turn could stretch the bolt/stud. From my experiences, failures from over tightening is not always a cracked/sheared failure but literally a stretching that causes the bolt to become thinner in one section. Once this happens, it'll loosen, vibrate, and eventually fail if not caught in time.

Found on Google... the stretched bolt was the same height as the left one.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
203 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
We had this conversation on the various Lotus forums some while ago. The conclusion was that automotive manufacturers stipulate torque settings clean and dry. No grease.
However it was also noted that the mating surfaces really do have to be clean. ANY small debris, grit or general muck has a massive effect on the torque figures recorded. The idea is to elastically stretch the bolt without getting the permanent set that is shown in the pic. Clean the bolts and wheels and the hub mating parts thoroughly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You have Seen my video? It's the same noise everybody have?
It sounds like you have a clicking noise even when driving in a straight line. Is that correct?

I occasionally get a clicking noise if I am cornering hard left. The noise comes from the front right or maybe rear right. I have to be moving too. I don't think it does it at parking lot speeds. No noise if cornering right.

I'm no expert with greased nuts 🤣 but I wouldn't do it. The applied torque rating factors in friction so lube on a bolt/nut is going to alter the effective torque which in turn could stretch the bolt/stud. From my experiences, failures from over tightening is not always a cracked/sheared failure but literally a stretching that causes the bolt to become thinner in one section. Once this happens, it'll loosen, vibrate, and eventually fail if not caught in time.

Found on Google... the stretched bolt was the same height as the left one.
View attachment 1254290
That's scary. A friend of mine had his lug bolts fail on track. Luckily it was a slow corner so the damage was limited and mostly contained to the wheel well. I would never grease my lug bolt threads for the reasons listed here. Curious what the purpose of the cone washer is though. BMW uses the same style of lug bolt but has never used a washer to my knowledge. Wonder if increased friction from corrosion could allow a torque wrench to read as fully torqued before the bolts have reached the necessary clamping force. Not sure if this makes any sense...

Edit: This is what I was thinking...

...ANY small debris, grit or general muck has a massive effect on the torque figures recorded. The idea is to elastically stretch the bolt without getting the permanent set that is shown in the pic. Clean the bolts and wheels and the hub mating parts thoroughly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[QUOTE = "roarf, post: 5988811, member: 31496"]
It sounds like you have a clicking noise even when driving in a straight line. Is that correct?
Yes exactly,
This noise start when I turn right hard and when the car is warm (After about 20min), and After I have the clicking in straight Line at lower speedy only...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Unsure of the torque aspect of the cone washers, but usually they are to provide some amount of lug centricity.
Exactly this. The Evora wheel is mounted to the hub and located on a spigot. The bolts have to apply a clamping force without disturbing the location of the wheel on the hub. The clearance in the bolts and washers allow for a small degree of misplacement in the machining of the threaded bolt holes. Other cars nay use different systems where the bolts or lug nuts do the locating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first post was write in 2010, in 9 years i don't understand how lotus can't solve this issue...
It's amazing.

I have read some guys try to put exige bolts without moving cône and the clicking Come back again...

Maybe the problem is in the hub

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm actually going to SportsCar World here in Dallas on Thursday. Per lotus rep the next step was for them to ship over some hub lube from England. They sent it over and we will give it a shot.

If it doesn't work I'd be willing to give your bolts a shot Sherman to see if it makes the difference. If you wanted to ship it to SportsCar world directly that could work.

What I have noticed is every time I actually spend the time to powerwash the rims/hub interface with my powerwasher the noise completely goes away for several days. Might support the debris theory. But after 2-3 days of daily driving it starts to come back and gets progressively worse.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
203 Posts
Exactly this. The Evora wheel is mounted to the hub and located on a spigot. The bolts have to apply a clamping force without disturbing the location of the wheel on the hub. The clearance in the bolts and washers allow for a small degree of misplacement in the machining of the threaded bolt holes. Other cars nay use different systems where the bolts or lug nuts do the locating.

BMWs are hub-centric just like the Lotus. Very few modern European manufactures use the fastener to center the wheel. (Probably no modern domestic or JDM too but I have no experience with those though.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
what intrigues me is to know what makes this noise ...
and driving like that with this problem, it will inevitably damage or break something ...
Right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have Ask to lotus UK about this clicking issue and this is the answer :

We are not aware of this being an issue with our vehicles. Having checked some forums this seems to be a very small number of vehicles compared to the number of Evora’s on the road. We have also checked our system and this also shows no reported cases to Warranty or Customer Services in recent months. We are not working on a solution for this matter and thus there is no planned discussions surrounding this within the business.

No reported cases of clicking issue...

·
Loves to talk
812 Posts
I had a single incident and it perplexed me but I didn't think to torque the wheel bolts. This occurred shortly after it got its annual service. I drove it back and (to my embarrassment) TJ torqued the bolts. They were all pretty far out. Since then I check them every few months as a habit but curiously, they don't seem to stray and haven't clicked since.
What remains perplexing is that it happened the first time but not since. If I recall, the service manager told me they used new bolts so maybe the ones I had were defective which would explain it in my case. I took him to mean the new bolts were of an improved design.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In my experience this was a problem with the S1s. I definitely had it in my 2014 S. Haven’t really heard 400 people observing the problem in their cars.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have a 400 with 10,400 miles and started noticing the snapping twigs some time ago. I have the forged wheels and check the torque on the bolts regularly, keeping approx at spec (though they don’t loosen). I brought to my dealer who serviced as follows: “Installed A138G6012F: Wheel bolt with collar - 57M Qty:20. Installed updated wheel bolts per aftersales” and they covered under warranty. I am wondering if this is not common on 400s as most have not seen a ton of miles yet but from conversation with my dealer this is well known to them and they knew just what to do. No noise post replacement but it has only been a few days too.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts