The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming home for lunch I saw a piece of metal 1 foot into my lane on the left side. So I moved over a bit so I'd go around it but I ended up clipping it anyway. :( Made a loud whamming sound. Damage is minor; the starshield looks like it deflected most of the glancing impact (starshield is torn in 5 places but the paint under it is fine) but it couldn't deflect all of the force so now there's a 1/2 inch long gash in the fiberglass just before the rear driver's side wheel. You really can't see it unless you get down and look but ugh. First blood.

This car is wider than I thought.
Starshield is worth it.

-doma

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Bummer! Sorry to hear it. I too have been surprised at the car's apparent width, though fortunately my victims have been roadway reflectors and such. I think this is due to the seating position in the Elise, you're so much closer to the centerline of the car than you would be in a 'normal' automobile.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Lotsa people hit cones just behind the doors as the car widens out. But when you get used to it this goes away.

In the elise we sit in the narrow part of the coke bottle shape. And towards the middle....

Try this. Standing at the driver's side rear tire, lean over and look through the back window at the headrest. Line up your hand with the center of the headrest and trace an imaginary line backwards lined up longitudinally. Stop when you are about even with the wheel well area. Now compare the edge of the car to where the center of your head resides widthwise. This is a much greater distance than on most cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts