The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am currently on the verge of buying a lotus, and i currently have 3 options:

1. 2006 dark blue elise with 17k miles for $25k (seems like this might be hard to get)

2. 2005 silver elise with 36k miles for 23k

3. 2006 solar yellow exige with 28k miles for 32k

4. 2005 lotus elise saffron yellow with a turbo charger for $30k (havent tried negotiating yet)

I dont plan on doing alot (if any) track events, and my preferred color is yellow. I love driving my car with my windows down, and the convertibles i've tested feel heavenly. But does the performance of the exige coupled with the preferred color make the exige a better buy?
or does 11k less miles and a turbo charger justify 7k more (maybe less, gonna see how low they are willing to go).
The 2006 seems like the best buy but the guy seems to be not too into it and slow and i dont want to miss out on these other ones while waiting for a chance with this guy.

So what do y'all think, please advise.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You can easily make an elise (base or sport) handle/pull as well as an exige s track pack.

I chose Elise for the removable top and actual usable rearward vision. Exige can be modded to be topless though.

A used turbo/sc (aftermarket) should only increase the value by 1-3k.

I would go with your preferred colors. The prices will only get lower in the winter, so don't feel rushed by prices.

Some of those prices seem borderline questionable(tgtbt)

·
Registered
786 Posts
The stock 06 Exige did not come with a supercharger, and drives the same as the Elise. So, it's a matter of preference of the looks. In my opinion, a turbo does not justify a $7k premium at resale as you're trading performance for possible issues you may not be aware of.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just realized that the 05 silver elise for 23k is the base one, so no power windows

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The cars listed for $25k and under are priced at the actual worth of the vehicle, and seem to be forgoing the annual weather inflation of the car.

But that does not mean they are in perfect condition, and the same could be said for the others priced higher.

I would not pay a $7,000 premium for a possible mess. Now if they lowered that price then it would be palatable.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
based on your post i'd say dark blue elise.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cars listed for $25k and under are priced at the actual worth of the vehicle, and seem to be forgoing the annual weather inflation of the car.

But that does not mean they are in perfect condition, and the same could be said for the others priced higher.

I would not pay a $7,000 premium for a possible mess. Now if they lowered that price then it would be palatable.
Are you saying that an aftermarket turbo/super charger might be trouble to me?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, that's what he's saying.
It all depends on whos setup it is.
The SC's tend to be a little more sorted than the turbo's.

See if you can find out, as some of the Turbo kits were absolute crap as well as some of the early SC kits and their tunes.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
yeah, if you are buying a turbo Elise than you are buynig someone elses project...

unless you know the person or know what kind of work was done i would pass on that type of vehicle

honestly, i would even question buying a (non-factory) supercharged elise without at minimum seeing a dyno tune chart or some sort of documentation that it was tuned/chipped/ect from a reputable source.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Avoid the turbo one unless you have someone who knows fi elise/exige look it over with a fine toothed comb. Most have more problems then they are worth.

Also agreed with some of the earlier posts. Given the price I would definitely have them checked, perferably at a lotus dealer as the prices seem pretty low for a car with no stories.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
No Chrome Oranges.........keep looking.

·
Registered
490 Posts
yeah, if you are buying a turbo Elise than you are buynig someone elses project...

unless you know the person or know what kind of work was done i would pass on that type of vehicle

honestly, i would even question buying a (non-factory) supercharged elise without at minimum seeing a dyno tune chart or some sort of documentation that it was tuned/chipped/ect from a reputable source.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of Lotus cars running around with FF275 kits that are completely reliable. The hard parts of that kit are very well-made. I would obviously recommend getting someone to closely inspect the kit, but assuming it is all there, installed correctly, and a proper tuning solution has been implemented (AKA getting away from the piggyback thing that it originally came with), I wouldn't necessarily shy away, especially if you can get it for a good deal.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
The blue Elise sounds like a great deal. An Elise has the option of being a convertible and Exige has rear vision difficulties. I considered both when buying mine and the aforementioned helped make the decision easy for me. But in every situation, go for the one that really tickles your fancy. Regardless of which one you go for, spend $300.00 and have have a dealer perform a full inspection and ECU analysis. Then post LOTS of pics when you do buy!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You can't really go wrong, although I would advise against the aftermarket turbo one.

Believe me, if you don't track your car you're never going to feel the performance difference between an Elise and Exige. The Elise will take anything you throw at it. Have you driven it? It's mental. It's ridiculous. It's a witch. The car is a witch. No car should be able to do what it does. It's a witch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like the look of the elise topless better than the exige topless. Exige topless from the side doesn't look proportionate. I also like the rear view on the elise. But if I kept it hardtop than the exige does look meaner and all about business

·
Registered
245 Posts
First, what others said above.

Second, of the options listed above, if all cars have a clean repair record and are sorted and in good shape then the deal on the blue seems good. With that being said its not your preferred color. If the yellow is important to you then wait for the right car. If you are patient you will get exactly what you want and end up with the right car. If you don't mind that moment of sadness every time you see a yellow one then go ahead with the blue if it is indeed a clean, sorted car.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Not necessarily. There are plenty of Lotus cars running around with FF275 kits that are completely reliable.
i understand that, & it’s not the fact that the car is boosted outside of the factory. its more or less what parts were used & how it was installed...

a turbo Elise of any kind is still someone else’s project if a buyer is looking to purchase one... & a very risky buy at that without really inspecting everything prior to purchase

in this case I would avoid it... but thats just me trying to look at things with a perspective of a potential 1st time owner of an Elise (or any car that has been modified with aftermarket parts, since this shouldnt just pertain to a Lotus)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i understand that, & it’s not the fact that the car is boosted outside of the factory. its more or less what parts were used & how it was installed...

a turbo Elise of any kind is still someone else’s project if a buyer is looking to purchase one... & a very risky buy at that without really inspecting everything prior to purchase

in this case I would avoid it... but thats just me trying to look at things with a perspective of a potential 1st time owner of an Elise (or any car that has been modified with aftermarket parts, since this shouldnt just pertain to a Lotus)
x2

You really have to be willing to tweak and work on your car (potentially a lot) if you are considering a turbo Elise... especially those with the turbo kits that have existed in the past.

Just a risky situation to be in as a first time Elise (and Lotus) owner.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Also:
Inspect VERY close for spider web cracking

Inspect for signs of a tracked car (if noted as non tracked)

Consider how new the consumables are.

And how soon is it until the next reccommended dealer service.

If you plan on tracking and upgrading it to be a track weapon...... Then a base Elise will do, starting off. But there are plenty of folks on base suspension (albeit w/better tires than me) that post very lap times.

Most tracks cars forgo s/c and t/c. People seriously underestimate how fast these cars are. I watched NA Elise's post consistently faster lap times than gtr's at buttonwillow this April, (LCUSA)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts