The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet in the Heartland! Specific date to follow-

Club MR2 is having one major meet for 2005 (compared to their normal coastal or regional meets). It will be in June 2005 in Topeka Kansas, the center of the US. They have asked Elises to also be there and share in the event.

MOST LIKELY June 10-12.

The benefit for us is that ClubMR2 has reserved Heartland Park Raceway and also has organized a dragrace and autocross that we can piggyback on.

friday night - Meet, checking, Drag Race

Saturday - car show, autoX, fun and games

Sunday - Road Course 2.1 mile

And mixed into that will be contests, prizes, bar-b-que and more.

I will post as soon as the contracts are signed with Heartland Park and we have the weekend nailed down. And don't say it is too far to drive. :) 1500 miles in an Elise? One day. :p

It will be interesting to see some Elises on the track with highly modified MR2s. Maybe even an MR2 with Northstar V8 in it? Some turbo Spyders.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racers are a superstitious bunch.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me! It also sounds like a long way to drive (1841 miles for me). ;) However, the roads in Colorado are great and I would love to experience those in the Elise. Maybe swing through Vegas on the way back?

Could be a fun road trip, especially if we organize regional caravans to make the drive more interesting.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MattG said:

Could be a fun road trip, especially if we organize regional caravans to make the drive more interesting.
Regional cravans are a great idea. Count me in on the recieving end of the said caravans. :) Also, once we get a weekend nailed down I'll get rolling on planning a BBQ/Pool party sort of an affair.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Randy Chase said:
And don't say it is too far to drive. :) 1500 miles in an Elise? One day. :p
It's only 300 miles to Topeka! :D

I might be in depending on what else is going on that weekend. Not on the road course part, most likely, but the rest of it.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BrianK said:
Is it Bill Strong that has this car? is it an MKI???
Yes and Yes. That boy is not right in the head. :)

Bill is the one that asked me to make this an Elise event also.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
if anyone is interested in 'extending' their trip to the Midwest, i'm an instructor at the local roadcourse, and can most likely get some people on for some laps.

150mi north of Topeka in Glenwood, IA.

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com

2.2mi, 40ft wide, very few barriers, 15 turns, no elevation.

The calendar says its booked for that weekend, but depending on the event, we might be able to jump in for a day.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We usually have the track reserved for a DE event in June, so I'll check to see if it is that weekend, before or after and if so maybe those who want more time on the track can do both.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
First thing is: I would love to attend this event in Topeka,Ks, but it is a LOOOOONGGGG drive. Teaming up with other drivers is a good idea.

Secondly: I have to laugh at this Bill Strong project. I'm wondering what will be remaining of the suspension and body parts in his attempt to achieve the projected goal weight?......and an automatic tranny to boot! LOL Ah yes....it's a beautiful world!

·
Registered
15 Posts
:)

It is a manually shifted automatic... nice little buttons mounted on the Momo steering wheel. :)

I am in Charlottesville Va, and David Hawkins, my partner in this endevor, is in western Pa.

Hope to see you guys and gals there

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Bill Strong said:
:)

It is a manually shifted automatic... nice little buttons mounted on the Momo steering wheel. :)

I am in Charlottesville Va, and David Hawkins, my partner in this endevor, is in western Pa.

Hope to see you guys and gals there
My hats off to ya Bill. Sounds like an interesting project. I am a previous MR2 owner....a '93. Best of luck and I hope that I can get to see it one day. Ron

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 46 Posts