The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if anyone has taken advantage of the government's CARS - aka Cash for Clunkers - to get a discount on a Lotus.

Anyone?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I believe the upper limit is $45K, and that the dealership itself needs to participate in the program. Not sure if a Lotus dealer would...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Our administration had issued a similar project in the beginning of 2009 which is still being continued. The bonus is 2,500 Euro (3,550 $) for each car.

The only conditions are:

- minimum age of car 9 years
- privately owned (also the new one)

Unfortunately all my cars are >> than 2,500 € ;)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
as stated above, MSRP has to be under 45k, so I dont think Lotus is eligible.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Whats the MSRP on a stripped Enthusiast model. Thought it was just under 45. I'd do that, then buy the roof, etc later.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
sorry if I misinformed - I didnt think any dealers had those in stock yet since it wasnt on the Lotus web site (but I should know better than to go by the Lotus website)....

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
sorry if I misinformed - I didnt think any dealers had those in stock yet since it wasnt on the Lotus web site (but I should know better than to go by the Lotus website)....
It's Purist Model, right? Fox Valley has three of them in stock. One each in the white, red, and yellow. With Star Shield and delivery MSRP is $46K something.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
It's Purist Model, right? Fox Valley has three of them in stock. One each in the white, red, and yellow. With Star Shield and delivery MSRP is $46K something.

to reiterate - my fault for thinking the Lotus site would reflect what is actually available currently. MSRP limit for the program is excluding dealer options so it should be eligible.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Our administration had issued a similar project in the beginning of 2009 which is still being continued. The bonus is 2,500 Euro (3,550 $) for each car.

The only conditions are:

- minimum age of car 9 years
- privately owned (also the new one)

Unfortunately all my cars are >> than 2,500 € ;)
Unfortunately for those of us here in the US, that is not even close to the qualifications. This program has, IMHO, been misnamed. It should have been called "Cash for Guzzlers" as the main stipulation is poor gas mileage.

Of all the true clunker cars owned by my immediate and extened family (1990 Honda Civic with >200K miles, a first year Neon with >190K miles, a 1986 Dodge Caravan, etc) the ONLY car that qualifies as a "clunker" under this program is the mint condition 2007 Dodge pickup owned by my mom. The true clunkers all have too high of a mpg rating to qualify.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
although in reality noone would ever trade the pickup in through this program as presumably it has a trade in value of more than $4500......But you are correct that there are a lot of clunkers that are ineligible.....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am curious to know if anyone has taken advantage of the government's CARS - aka Cash for Clunkers - to get a discount on a Lotus.

Anyone?
no idea if anyone's done it..
but it's indeed possible... in theory. (as mentioned, gotta find a dealer who'd do it)

check the list Edmonds put out, they include the Elise!

Cash for Clunkers Eligible New Cars

1 - 14 of 14 Posts