The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when driving slow, particulary when turning or when driving slow on deceleration there is a loose clunking sound coming from the drivers side front. Maybe from the wheel or suspension.

Im going to take it to get checked out, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas. I dont notice anything wrong with the wheel and what ever the problem is, its nothing that I can see. I know my description is vague, but thought I would try.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm not an expert but possible steering rack issue??

Do a search here and you will see quite a few people have had some issues. I'm sure others may have some different ideas. I have not had any trouble with it myself.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its more than steering because I can be going straight and slow and it will do it. Its just more pronounced when turning slow. I just dont know what terms to search for.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I think its more than steering because I can be going straight and slow and it will do it. Its just more pronounced when turning slow. I just dont know what terms to search for.
That's exactly what my rack did the TWO times it's been replaced so far.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
mine is at the dealer right now for your exact discription.. Service manager said this is not right or good. Should here Thursday about the problem.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's what my thought is or at least hope that's all it is. I don't thnk dealers are really checking this stuff on delivery or 1k service...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I guess I will call Lotus of Atlanta tomorrow to get mine replaced. better cover under warranty.
Hey coolingmist..........I have been dealing with the same problem for a while now. I brought my car to Lotus of Atlanta (LOA) a couple of weeks ago and I informed them that a lot of people have had issues with the Steering Rack "clunk". They test drove it and acknowledged that there was definitely a "clunk" coming from the Driver's side area; however the steering felt fine and there was no slop in the wheel. They informed me that they could not just order another Steering Rack based on my observation alone (understandable), but they would give it a thorough inspection.

I received a call the next day and was told that my Sway Bar Bushings were worn out and needed replacing and that should resolve the issue. Well, I picked up the car after they worked on it and drove it home only to hear the "clunk" again. I was a bit peeved because it was obvious that the car was test drove after they worked on it, so I called to inform them of the still existent "clunk". I then asked them if they even looked at the Steering Rack and they told me that Lotus says to replace the Sway Bar Bushings first and see if that resolves the issue......it obviously didn't and it obviously wasn't checked.

So, I called to see if I could return to LOA and have the Steering Rack replaced (I wanted the parts to be there so that I wouldn't have to make multiple trips to get this fixed) and I was told that they would have to check the car all over again and determine the "actual" cause (another words, this most likely means multiple trips back to LOA). I told them that since I just got the car back that it would be a month or so before I brought it back in. I am going to check some stuff out myself just to see what I find out of curiosity.

Anyway, both Mark and Paul are really good guys to deal with in the service department over at LOA. They have been as accommodating as they can be, but it seems that Lotus is tying their hands with this issue (among others). Hopefully between my call this past Tuesday and your call today, maybe they will start understanding this issue a little better. If fact, I may call Mark this afternoon and try and schedule and appointment a few weeks from now (just to keep them on their toes!

Good luck and keep us informed on this annoying issue! :)

Cletus

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My question is what happens if you continue to drive it like that or for some, track it... are we in harms way because of part failure?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
... Anyway, both Mark and Paul are really good guys to deal with in the service department over at LOA. They have been as accommodating as they can be, but it seems that Lotus is tying their hands with this issue (among others). ...
Cletus
They may be good guys to deal with, but they sure botched up your service. And, don't always believe what the dealers tell you. When "Lotus" gets blamed, it is more often than not, the dealer just passing the buck. They should have checked your car after replacing the bushings, verified that it did not fix the problem, gone immediately to the next step in the process, and continued on until it was fixed.

I can clearly see LCU telling them to replace the bushings first. It's quicker and cheaper and may well be the problem. They would not have told them to return the car to you that way and see if maybe you would just go away. LOA did you no favors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
They may be good guys to deal with, but they sure botched up your service. And, don't always believe what the dealers tell you. When "Lotus" gets blamed, it is more often than not, the dealer just passing the buck. They should have checked your car after replacing the bushings, verified that it did not fix the problem, gone immediately to the next step in the process, and continued on until it was fixed.

I can clearly see LCU telling them to replace the bushings first. It's quicker and cheaper and may well be the problem. They would not have told them to return the car to you that way and see if maybe you would just go away. LOA did you no favors.
Hi Chris,

I can't argue with the dealer passing the buck issue, and I certainly let them know that I was not at all pleased with their performance. They are under new service management so I think they still are getting their feet wet (again, no excuse), but I always try to give people a chance to rectify things. They did perform some other services for me at no charge (which they did not have to do); however, you are right in saying that they should have fixed the main problem the first time in.

Believe me, they know I am pissed and I try to take everything they say about LCU with a grain of salt. Hopefully coolingmist will benefit from my recent dealings with them and have this issue better addressed.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My question is what happens if you continue to drive it like that or for some, track it... are we in harms way because of part failure?
Me too, I hear a faint knocking sounding from the passenger fender area every now and then. But its not too bad and I don't notice any exscessive play in the steering. I may be a bit of a hypochondriac and its probably nothing. What are the other signs of steering rack failure?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have looked high and low here to read the signs and its a mixed bag. Some say check ball joints, some toe links, others say steering rack and they all are described some what the same.

When driving slow, particulary when turning or when driving slow on deceleration there is a loose clunking sound coming from the drivers side front or passengers side. Some people that had the steering rack replaced said they felt it at higher speeds also...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Any updates on causes or fixes for this?

Mine is still at the dealer and they cant seem to find the issue although they know something is wrong...

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I had the clunking noises coming from the front end. I had the rack replaced and I thought the noises subsided. The clunking is back. My car has 4900 miles on it (about 2k on the new rack).

Dealer supposedly checked all suspension bolts for tightness, but I will go ahead and check myself (thanks for the link to the additional thread I had missed).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I read that post also, my 05 elise didn't have any issues with suspension and now the 08 s240 with 2400 miles has an issue that was supposed to be fixed years ago but it seems many of the new 08's have it also. I should get more info later today and to be honest getting a bit frustrated to have a new car with this type of issue.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the "teeth" in the rack and pinion wearing, and allowing play inside the steering rack.

Do you ever use the steering wheel to push yourself out of the car? That may be causing the wear.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This thread inspired me to really study my clunking more. When I first searched it, I found all the steering rack people and assumed this was my problem......but really paying attention to it I notice it DOES NOT do it from turning the wheel at all....it ONLY does it when the nose pitches up or down.

Give it gas, clunk, give it brakes, clunk. Go over a bump, Clunk-ity-clunk-clunk

Turn the wheel.....nice tight responsive feel and ONLY CLUNKS if the nose pitches during the turn.

Ive just got some tightening to do it sounds like, going to take my wheels off today when I get home and check everything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts