The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So my car needs its fair share of work right now. New rear clam, new tires, regular maintenance... which is fine. I am getting to that stuff.
NOW my car is making a weird clunking sound. You can feel it in the steering column and you can audibly hear it. It is pretty loud. My car clunks as you drive on almost any surface that isn't completely smooth. As the front bounces up and down - even quite slightly from a paved road, the car makes a loud clunk, clunk. I am wondering if it might be my steering column (but it still steers fine). Perhaps it is the anti-sway in the front? I have no clue, but I really hope it is not anything serious. Any ideas?? :confused:

-Whit

·
Registered
99 Posts
My car has steering rack clunk and feel also. It's gotten progressively worse, but still only does it in low speed situations like parking lots, driveways, traffic, etc. It's on my list of issues for next time I take a day off to drive to the dealer.

Good luck with your problem. Hope it gets resolved.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Put a wrench on the swaybar endlink attachments would be my first step.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it seems like this is a COMMON issue among elises. I have 40K miles on my car now, and this looks like a warranty issue. My warranty has expired. Has there been a recall on the steering rack? I would hate to spend a grand out of pocket for a known replacement issue that I was never informed about...

-Whit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts