The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I need a quick sanity check. I took a longer trip recently had an issue with the clutch on the way back. I noticed that about 4 hours in that my clutch had little to no resistance. I was in 5th gear at the time, and when conditions were very safe, I attempted to just go from 5th to 6th just to see what kind of situation I was in. Once I was out of gear, I couldn't get it to re-engage any other gear. I pulled off, turned off the car, turned it back on, and I was just fine.

I think the brake fluid just needs to be renewed, and it probably boiled the fluid that was being used by the clutch. Is that a pretty accurate assessment? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
606 Posts
What year is your car and how many miles on it? Curious as I'm picking mine up in Atlanta this weekend and hope to have no issues on the way home.

I'm no expert but your assessment sounds correct.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Hey guys! I need a quick sanity check. I took a longer trip recently had an issue with the clutch on the way back. I noticed that about 4 hours in that my clutch had little to no resistance. I was in 5th gear at the time, and when conditions were very safe, I attempted to just go from 5th to 6th just to see what kind of situation I was in. Once I was out of gear, I couldn't get it to re-engage any other gear. I pulled off, turned off the car, turned it back on, and I was just fine.

I think the brake fluid just needs to be renewed, and it probably boiled the fluid that was being used by the clutch. Is that a pretty accurate assessment? Thanks in advance!

Does not sound like a brake fluid issue. Four hours of driving won't boil the fluid unless you are on the track using your brakes too much. Also if it really was the fluid, turning the car on and off won't fix it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There is a known issue where the clutch line gets too hot due to its location and over time can heat the fluid. Has nothing to do with brakes, as far as I know. Letting it cool could cause the issue to correct itself.

Am I way off here?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
There is a known issue where the clutch line gets too hot due to its location and over time can heat the fluid. Has nothing to do with brakes, as far as I know. Letting it cool could cause the issue to correct itself.

Am I way off here?
You're on the money, see the pinned TSB thread. A lot of us have had this fixed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@James: My car is a 2010, with 20k

Just curious, has anyone bought the wrap and fixed it themselves? Could you provide any details? I'm just curious how hard it is to do this job myself.

·
Registered
606 Posts
@James: My car is a 2010, with 20k

Just curious, has anyone bought the wrap and fixed it themselves? Could you provide any details? I'm just curious how hard it is to do this job myself.

I ordered some wrap from Amazon and plan on doing it myself just for my own piece of mind. I hope it's not too bad once the car is in the air a bit. I have to do an oil change and brake fluid flush so I figure I'll try to do that too.

James

·
Registered
606 Posts
BTW -

Mine is a 2011 with 14K miles and I drove it 375 miles yesterday from Atlanta to Memphis with no issues.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I had this multiple times on my 2011. The wrap helped but did not fix. New master cylinder fixed the issue for me. AND all new high temp fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts