The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a friends 1999 V8 back together, I sent the disc's to a place in California called "ClutchNet" which someone on the boards made referance to. I sent them out on Feburary 6 after talking to them and sending pictures. I still don't have them back and no one returns my calls. Does anyone know anything about this company? Also can anyone recommed an affordable disc replacement if it comes to that?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Trying to get a friends 1999 V8 back together, I sent the disc's to a place in California called "ClutchNet" which someone on the boards made referance to. I sent them out on Feburary 6 after talking to them and sending pictures. I still don't have them back and no one returns my calls. Does anyone know anything about this company? Also can anyone recommed an affordable disc replacement if it comes to that?
Affordable and V-8 clutch do not go together. A "proper" clutch job involves replacing the "stack" consisting of 2 clutch discs, an intermediate plate and the pressure plate which has the throwout bearing as an integral part. You also should replace the pilot bearing and if the flywheel is blue or has heat cracks it has to be resurfaced or replaced. All dimensions are critical as there is no adjustment. The clutch pack is around $2.5K and the flywheel, if you have to get a new one, is around $1K plus the ARP bolts. I have heard of Clutchnet but do not know if they are capable of rebuilding your clutch pack. JAE is the place to go. If you need a flywheel I have a used one.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Affordable and V-8 clutch do not go together. A "proper" clutch job involves replacing the "stack" consisting of 2 clutch discs, an intermediate plate and the pressure plate which has the throwout bearing as an integral part. You also should replace the pilot bearing and if the flywheel is blue or has heat cracks it has to be resurfaced or replaced. All dimensions are critical as there is no adjustment. The clutch pack is around $2.5K and the flywheel, if you have to get a new one, is around $1K plus the ARP bolts. I have heard of Clutchnet but do not know if they are capable of rebuilding your clutch pack. JAE is the place to go. If you need a flywheel I have a used one.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks, everything else looked good. just the disc's were down enough to invest the $75 each to have them re lined but now that's not looking like such a deal.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Thanks, everything else looked good. just the disc's were down enough to invest the $75 each to have them re lined but now that's not looking like such a deal.
That is a good deal. As I said, the dimensions are critical since there is no adjustment. A couple of mm and it won't work. The type of materiel is also important. If it wears too fast it will quickly wear out and if it doesn't wear enough it will destroy the flywheel. I hope Clutchnet comes through for you so we have an alternate source. You should find a way to either lubricate or replace the throwout bearing.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
913 Posts
My 88 had a Clutch.net disc in it when I got it, I replaced them because of issues with the input shaft. It looked like everything except the center spline of the clutch disc was replaced and they built around it. I was too skeptical and bought the Lotus clutch when I reassembled it, I wasn't risking having to reassemble, have it be not true, then disassemble only to buy a Lotus clutch the second time around, then reassemble. It sounded like a more inexpensive alternative though (clutch.net), I would be curious how it turns out. My clutch also felt uneven is another reason (but im pretty sure it was all my input shaft causing it). The thought of someone doing that, resurfacing clutch discs, sounds reasonable to me though, however I don't know much about the V8 Esprit clutch, sounds more complex. Which im sure is more disassembly and reassembly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have used Mobile clutch and Powertrain in Mobile, AL to resurface clutch disks more than once. They have the tools and the know how to do most anything and specialize in old tractors. Now, there are some interesting things that come out of old tractors.

Not sure about a V8 disk as I have no experience with them at all... but they did do a couple of Ferrari and an Aston for me. Terry MCauley there had to do a bit of research regarding the Ferraris. Turns out the 308 and 328 have the exact same clutch spline, thickness, and rivet pattern at the XJS... a new XJS disk would just fit right together. For 1/3 the cost of Ferrari. Although any Ferrari shop and most Ferrari owners will tell you there is no match for them. :shrug:

Cameron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts