The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my clutch master cylinder and did the BOE steps that have you bleed the new adapter in the wheel well after replacing the high pressure line. After I did that, I tested it out (while still torn apart) and it felt normal. I then decided that I should probably bleed the whole thing anyway because there was gross brake fluid in the tank. I put the clam back on, then bled everything with the motiv pressure bleeder, slave, all 8 bleeders on the brakes. Now when I hit the clutch, it just goes to the floor and stays there. I still have fluid in the tank, and the brakes feel firm. Is it possible that there is just an air bubble at the slave? I had a hell of a time getting a hose on that bleeder because of the angle, so I couldn't really tell if there was any air coming out.

Do I need to pull the clam back off and recheck fittings elsewhere? I've never done clutch work before, but have bled plenty of brakes in my days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
first, try to pump the clutch pedal manually by lifting the pedal and depressing it. This should push the slave cylinder out far enough to engage the clutch. If that doesn't work you may need to manually bleed the clutch with 2 people.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try to pump it with everything closed, are you saying to do that while there is pressure from the motive and/or with the bleeder open? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
after you have bled the clutch system fully, then close the bleeder and remove the pressure bleeder and pump the clutch pedal many times (20 or so should do it) . this will move the slave cylinder into position to actuate the clutch. If that does not work then bleed the old school way with 2 people.

·
Maniacal Motorist
62 Posts
Motiv should work fine for bleeding the slave cylinder as well, however...

To bleed the clutch slave manually, you must open the clutch slave bleed, have them depress the clutch pedal slowly to floor. Close bleed first, then have them raise the clutch pedal to top of travel.

Repeat several times.

I have heard of a few instances of slave cylinders needing replacement, and unless the heat is vaporizing some fluid, you shouldn't have any air pockets back there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like i need to just keep at it. Pressure bled again at the slave and got a handful of bubbles. Closed it down, pumped and got "some" resistance. Pressure bled again and got more bubbles. Repeat...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts