The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As recommended I wanted to start a new thread on the Evora clutch failures. When throwing around the $4000 figure for a clutch I have been flamed, however, as I see it I would think its easily 3 full days = 24ish hours at $110/per hour plus parts... Not sure what the final would be but its not cheap. My clutch has not failed and I have an early car. Very early. I have a year and a half left on Warranty and 6000 miles on the clock. If my clutch goes out of warranty I will 100% loose my cool. I also understand that there was a throwout bearing change as well. I assume same effort to change that as well. I would like to please understand these failures, how common they are relative to the number of units sold, specific period of production etc, what parts are failing and is there a pattern to possibly a bad batch...

My car is a Jan 2010 with 6000 miles and no issues to date...

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the production month from the inside door tag?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
If there's a sure way to deter folks from buying this car, it's starting a thread entitled 'Clutch failures' LOL

Plenty has been written on this topic. Not sure what more to say that hasn't already been said... Faulty throwout bearing. End of story.

·
Premium Member
8,406 Posts
Mine only chatters slightly if engaged at 1000rpms or less. The clutch has a very aggressive pickup (grabby), but if you took the time to break it in appropriately it should go away. I think part of the issue has been the very light flywheel making revs critical. Some folks may have not had experience in this area so I've been told!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Am I wrong if I say that real problems happen very early if they happen? I'm not sure but I think all cars that had to be repaired were under 10000 km / 6000 miles or so, and had symptoms before?

·
Registered
54 Posts
My car, a 2011 built in September 2010, had an issue tonight. It has 3,200 miles in the 2 months I have had it. Tonight, in stop and go traffic the wrench showed on the dash display. Then with the next shift the clutch pedal went to the floor and did not return. I rolled it to a nearby parking lot. I used my toes to lift the clutch pedal and pumped it. With each pump it felt better. I then drove the car home.

I have read every post I can find and am well aware of the clutch issues three owners here have experienced (and one over the pond). However, I have not seen this issue appear on a 2011. I am hoping air in the line is it...

Can I get a reading on the wrench code with an ODB reader? (my dealer is 5 hours away so I am hoping to figure out this is simple - I.e. not a clutch failure).

Anyone heard of a problem like this on an early build 2011? Is a clutch fluid bleed difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
First step, check the clutch fluid level

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Question to all.. When driving if you put your foot on the clutch and just put pressure on the engage point lightly do you have a lot of vibration? Its quite a buzz on the bottom of the foot. It feels like an old chevy where you can feel the throw out bearing spinning threw the direct linkage..The more its rev'd the worse it gets. So odd with a slave cylinder and so very far away...

Chelmreih sounds like a air... Let us all know your findings..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Chelmreih sounds like a air... Let us all know your findings..
Fluid level looks good (assuming I am correct that, like the other models, the Evora's Brake Fluid Resevior also feeds the clutch.) I guess I could take the bottom off and bleed the clutch -- but I'll probably wait for a response from my dealer Monday. (I'm 5 hours from my dealer.)

Unfortunately, I have seen 4 clutch replacements documented on line and two of the four specifically mention this as their first issue...

I'll let you know what I find out. (Here is hoping it is air!!!)

Craig

·
Registered
545 Posts
My car, a 2011 built in September 2010, had an issue tonight. It has 3,200 miles in the 2 months I have had it. Tonight, in stop and go traffic the wrench showed on the dash display. Then with the next shift the clutch pedal went to the floor and did not return. I rolled it to a nearby parking lot. I used my toes to lift the clutch pedal and pumped it. With each pump it felt better. I then drove the car home.

I have read every post I can find and am well aware of the clutch issues three owners here have experienced (and one over the pond). However, I have not seen this issue appear on a 2011. I am hoping air in the line is it...

Can I get a reading on the wrench code with an ODB reader? (my dealer is 5 hours away so I am hoping to figure out this is simple - I.e. not a clutch failure).

Anyone heard of a problem like this on an early build 2011? Is a clutch fluid bleed difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
My 2011 S does the same. Will get some parts replaced, apparently mine was not the first but difficult to reproduce. Only happened when the car as on low revs only, never when I hit the right pedal hard...

·
Premium Member
8,406 Posts
As mentioned above, chatter on pickup but no buzz with foot resting on clutch or slight depress.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So far close to 4000 miles on my Evora LE. No chatter when the clutch engages and no vibrations when resting the foot on my clutch pedal. The clutch always engages when the pedal is raised to mid-level, and then picks up quickly. I have also not experienced any weakness in the clutch depression. I wonder if air in the system is the leading problem in these failures. The manual advises to check the brake fluid level regularly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure on the clutch problem as yet.
But my is a Launch Edition 2010 and done 12,500 Kms
No real track days as such
Driven as a DD
Update on my clutch problem
Has now been at the dealers 10 days
1st week spent getting permission from lotus uk to investigate the problem
Which included sending all data to the uk
Have now stripped car down and the failure was a rivet on one of the clutch plates.
I now wait for lotus uk to authorize to fix it, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is a MY11 built in Sept. 2010 has an noise on idle. It has been identified as the throwout bearing, but strange it makes noise when the clutch is not depressed. Until now the clutch works fine and the gear changes are smooth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Given that I commented a few times in a thread called "Clutch Failures" I feel compelled to report back that after inspection of the car and codes my car did not have clutch failure and did not need a clutch replacement. After a few tweaks it will be back to me next week. Lotus and the dealer of my choice responded very quickly to my concerns and exceeded my expectations in service. I am hours away from a dealer and am blown away by how easy the entire process has been. Lotus has really stood behind this car (in a way I have not experienced in the past with my two Corvettes) -- as car companies should, but in my experience rarely do.

I'll be happy to have my CO Evora back in the garage soon!

Craig

·
Registered
545 Posts
For me, the Lotus garage will install a new clutch cylinder, that shall resolve all issues.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts