The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing to the lighter aluminium flywheel, heavy duty clutch, and harder engine mounds I have a really noticeable rattle at idle and low speed driving. Goes away when I put my foot on the clutch.

From my reading it sounds like its a common gearbox feature and adding a lighter heavier clutch only improves this feature.

I just wanted to confirm this is common and I shouldnt worry about it. Everything is working fine so far.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Never experienced it at idle. Just at low speed/rpm in low gear. And contrary to some experiences on the board, I’ve found it noticeably quieter on the 400 than it was on my S or NA.

Reactions: not-a-number

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never experienced it at idle. Just at low speed/rpm in low gear. And contrary to some experiences on the board, I’ve found it noticeably quieter on the 400 than it was on my S or NA.
With standard flywheel and clutch Im guessing? Ive been told a light flywheel and stronger springs in the clutch plate really increase the sound (heard this on other cars not specifically the Evora).

·
Registered
266 Posts
The stock S flywheel is single mass and pretty light as well, I believe. I've noticed a little bit of gear rattle at low rpm/low speed in 1st and 2nd gear, same as ByJove. Never at idle though. I would imagine an even lighter flywheel would accentuate this.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I noticed that my E400 has a lot more trans noise at low speeds than my old N/A S1. Both have/had factory flywheels and clutches to my knowledge.

It very well may be the lighter flywheel and stiffer clutch springs. So far, 7k miles on the "noisy" E400 with no issues to speak of!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed that my E400 has a lot more trans noise at low speeds than my old N/A S1. Both have/had factory flywheels and clutches to my knowledge.

It very well may be the lighter flywheel and stiffer clutch springs. So far, 7k miles on the "noisy" E400 with no issues to speak of!
Thanks for the feedback.
From my reading it seems like the gearbox is inherently rattly. Some more than others.
Adding a light flywheel and stronger (different) spring clutch can both cause a rattle in the clutch springs on any car. Combine that with the gearbox then youre bound to get something!

It actually seems to be getting better at idle (or maybe im just tuning it out)
Sport mode brings the revs up enough that its almost non existent at idle.

Its quieter than the E400 'noisy transmission' videos Ive seen. So I think Im all good.

Other than that everything is working great. Its a really nice car. Definitely needs a better exhaust and intake though. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Other than that everything is working great. Its a really nice car. Definitely needs a better exhaust and intake though. :)
Do it, best upgrade money you can spend. The noise you gain will make you forget all about the trans :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts